During the 1840s, the Quartermaster Department was responsible for the construction, maintenance, and supply of all the army forts and military roads. The Quartermaster's Storehouse at Fort Scott was constructed from 1842-43. Fort Scott's most important Quartermaster was Captain Thomas Swords-who designed and supervised the construction of the fort. Captain Swords was assisted in the operation of his department by a sergeant, a forage master, and one or two clerks.
The storehouse contains six rooms and could be considered as a 19th Century Hardware and Grocery Warehouse. Each company of soldiers was issued a specified amount of public property and each soldier was responsible for his uniform, weapons, and equipment. If a soldier lost, damaged, or destroyed a piece of public property, he was required to pay for a replacement. In fact, the cost of the replacement was deducted from his pay, before he was paid.