The George Stanford House is located on a rural section of Stanford Road, just north of the small village of Boston. It enjoys a commanding view of the Cuyahoga River and the adjacent Ohio & Erie Canal. James Stanford settled the property in 1806, and served in several township offices. He was a member of the original surveyors of Boston Township before deciding to move his family to the area. James' son George Stanford built the large farmhouse that still stands today.
On the Stanford farm during the late 19th century, George and his son, George C. Stanford, worked in close harmony, expanding their operation to include not only the cultivation of crops, but also dairying and lumbering. Both George and his son were also very active in local politics, serving many positions in public office, including Justice of the Peace. After his father's death in 1883, George C. Stanford inherited the farm and continued to raise wheat, cattle, and sheep.
Click to read a first-hand account of life on the Stanford Farm in the 1920s.
In Their Own Words
Click the topic to hear stories about Cuyahoga Valley life.
Life on the Stanford Farm (1 minute 4 seconds)
In recent years, the Stanford House joined the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. After several renovations, the Stanford House has since served as lodging for visitors. Click to plan your stay at the Stanford House.