In a line of evergreen and maple trees, on a section of land that was once an ancient terrace of the Cuyahoga River, stands the Point Farm. Just outside Everett, it is located on Akron Peninsula Road, north of Bolanz Road. From the 1870s farmhouse, Nathanial Point, Sr. could look north to his fields, east to his barn, south to a steep wooded hillside, and west to the bank of the Cuyahoga River. For almost a century (1857 to 1940), generations of Points lived and worked here. The history of the Point Farm illustrates how, after the Civil War, dairy farming and grain production rose in significance in Northeast Ohio.
Business of Farming
Changes through Time
During the establishment of Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the National Park Service bought the historic farm. For a time, it was used as office space for the park friends' group. By the end of the 20th century, it was rehabilitated and became a Countryside Initiative farm. The property's agricultural heritage has been restored. New farmers now raise pastured meat goats and heritage breed turkeys.
Last updated: June 24, 2020