River Permits

You can get a river permit online, by mail, or in person from the Reservation Office in Moab, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. You can also get a permit in person at any Canyonlands National Park visitor center (hours vary).

Academic institutions wishing to conduct river trips in the park may do so with a special use permit.

When to Apply

There is no lottery for river permits in Canyonlands. These permits are available first-come, first-served, no more than four months, and no less than two days prior to the permit start date. There are no daily launch limits in Canyonlands, so there is no need to submit mulitiple requests for the same date. If you submit a request, you will get a permit for any date you choose.


Canyonlands charges fees for all private river permits:

Permit Type Fee
Flat Water $30 reservation fee + $20 per person
Cataract Canyon $30 reservation fee + $20 per person

For example, a Cataract Canyon trip with five people would cost $130:
$30 (reservation fee) + $100 (five people at $20 each) = $130.

Fees are non-refundable.


If you cancel your trip more than two days before the trip start date, you will receive a credit for a future reservation starting within one year. Call the Reservation Office, 435-259-4351, for information.

Group Size

Group size limit is 40 people for private river trips.

Length of Stay

You can have a permit for up to 14 consecutive nights.


Additional regulations apply to all river trips. For more information, please visit the River Regulations Page.

How to Apply

To apply for a river permit, visit our online reservation system at canypermits.nps.gov. Once your reservation is processed, you will receive an email with instructions for making an online payment. Once your payment is received, your permit will be sent by email.

You may also print and complete a reservation form and submit it by email, mail, or fax. These reservations will be processed when received. The sites you request may not be available if someone reserves a site online prior to processing of your mailed request.


Reservation Office staff are available by phone to answer questions and assist with trip planning Monday through Friday, 8 am to noon (Mountain Time), at (435) 259-4351. When workload permits, phones may be answered until 4 pm. You may also contact them by email.


Need a River Guide?

Our bookstore contains guidebooks to all the rivers in southeastern Utah.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2282 Resource Blvd.
Moab, UT 84532



Contact Us