Doing Business With The Park


Commercial Use Authorization

If you are a business operator and want to conduct business within the National Park you are required to obtain a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) (36 CFR Sec. 5.3). Failure to obtain the CUA shall result in the issuance of a fine and/or removal from the park.

Commercial Use Authorizations (CUAs) are one method of authorizing commercial visitor services.

  • CUAs are currently issued for one year.

  • There is no right or guarantee of renewal.
  • The Commercial Use Authorization Application Fee is $200 with the exception for transportation providers.
  • CUAs are not considered concession contracts.

  • Commercial business activity is prohibited within the park unless a CUA has been granted by the park (36 CFR Sec. 5.3).

Information and documentation:

CUA Application
Annual Survey Report Form 10-660
Bus & Motor Coach Rules

Fees to Enter the Park when Applicable:

All commercial business operators entering the park are required to pay an entrance fee. Entrance fees are determined by the type of service provided:

  1. Business operators receiving a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) for activities such as biking, photography, yoga, hiking, summer camps, rock climbing, kayaking, or other activities are required to pay the per person rate of $12.00 ($15.00 starting on June 1, 2018) for each client, regardless of the size of the vehicle. Clients may use their annual or federal recreational lands passes according to the parameters of the pass. Only clients 16 years old and over are required to pay this fee. The vehicle and driver/guide have free entry into the park, but may not use their own passes to cover the clients’ fee.
  2. Business operators receiving a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) for road-based tours and transportation are required to pay the Commercial Tour Fee Schedule rate which is based on the capacity of the vehicle:
  • Sedan (1-6 capacity): $25.00
  • Van (7-12 capacity): $50.00
  • Mini Bus (16-25 capacity): $60.00
  • Bus/Motorcoach (26+ capacity): $150.00

Submitting CUA Documents

Submit completed documents to:

Acadia National Park
CUA Program Coordinator
PO Box 177
20 McFarland Hill Drive
Bar Harbor, ME 04609

If you need additional help or have any questions, please contact Mea Arego, Concessions Management Specialist by email or call (207) 288-8735.

Important things to know:

  • Fourteen (14) days are required for processing CUA applications. Please plan accordingly.

  • CUAs are issued for one calendar year; CUAs expire on December 31 of each year.

  • Administrative costs for a CUA are $200.

  • Checks are written to the "National Park Service" and mailed to CUA Program Coordinator at address above.

  • Annual reporting requirements must be submitted by December 31 of each year. Failure to return this form by the due date is grounds for revocation or non-renewal of the CUA. To view or download a form visit: Annual Survey Report

  • A Certificate of Insurance is required. See Insurance Requirements information in the CUA application packet.

  • Businesses and any of their employees must have in your possession a complete copy of the CUA Permit at all times when conducting business in the park. Random monitoring of CUA Permit holders will be conducted.

  • Commercial Operators must reapply for a new CUA each year. Applications are accepted beginning January 1.

  • Note: Section 418 of the National Parks Omnibus Management Act of 1998, Public Law 105-391 (Section 418), authorizes NPS, upon request, to issue commercial use authorizations to provide commercial services to park area visitors in limited circumstances.


Concession Contracts

Concession contracts are one method of authorizing commercial visitor services. They have the following characteristics:

  • The term of concession contracts is generally 10 years or less.

  • Some concession contracts have a "preference in renewal."

  • Contracts are awarded under competition and are limited in number.

  • The concessioner pays a franchise fee to the government determined by the probable value to the concessioner for the privileges provided by the contract.

Acadia National Park currently works with these concessioners:

  • The Dawnland, LLC manages the Jordan Pond House Restaurant and three shops in the park.

  • Carriages of Acadia, Inc., operates Wildwood Stables and offers horse-drawn carriage rides.

  • National Park Tours and Oli's Trolley offer interpretive bus tours through the park

If you need additional help or have any questions, please contact Mea Arego, Concessions Management Specialist by email or call (207) 288-8735.


Requests for Proposals

Acadia National Park welcomes Requests for Proposals from any organization or business wishing to add Park Ranger-conducted nature programs about Acadia National Park to talks, walks, hikes, youth programs, bicycle tours, bus tours, or boat programs serving Mount Desert Island and Schoodic. A standard fee for park ranger-narrated activities will apply. Accepted proposals will be valid for up to five years and ranger-led services will be marketed to park visitors in park facilities, program publications, and on the park website. To learn more, please email park staff.


CUA Process Standardized for Operators of Road-Based Commercial Tours

The National Park Service (NPS) is standardizing road-based commercial tour commercial use authorization (CUA) requirements and fees agency-wide. Currently, road-based commercial tour operators must navigate permitting processes and associated fees that can vary from park to park.

Beginning October 1, 2019, road-based commercial tour transportation providers and tour operators in Acadia National Park will be subject to a new fee schedule which includes 1) CUA Application Fee 2) A Per Person Entrance Fee and 3) CUA Management Fee.

The CUA Application Fee is required for all entities applying for a Commercial Use Authorization including transportation providers. The annual application fee will be $300 and is non-refundable.

  • One hundred percent of collected CUA application fees stay within the collecting park and are used to recover the administrative costs of receiving, reviewing, and processing CUA applications and required reports.
  • The NPS will adjust this application fee periodically to account for increased costs including inflation.

The Entrance Fee for Road-Based Tours will be a Per-Person Fee of $15.00, Park Specific or Interagency Passes will not apply.

The Entrance Fee will be paid upon arrival to Acadia National Park. At the time of entrance, a tour operator will be required to provide the fee collector with the total number of passengers on-board. A pink hang-tag indicating the total number of passengers will be provided for display at all times while in the park. Law Enforcement will be performing random spot checks throughout the park.

The CUA Management Fee will be $5.00 that will be subtracted from the $15.00 per person fee and used to recover costs associated with road-based commercial tour management and monitoring.

Learn more about the National Park Service CUA Program

Last updated: October 2, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

PO Box 177
Bar Harbor, ME 04609


(207) 288-3338

Contact Us