Left Fork (Subway) Bottom-Up Route
Trailhead Location: Left Fork Trailhead, located about one hour from the Zion Canyon Visitor Center
Pets: Not allowed
Distance (roundtrip): 9.0 mi / 14.5 km
Elevation Change: ~1,300 ft / ~400 m
Estimated Hiking Time: 6-10 hours
Permits: Wilderness Permits are required for this area year round.
Left Fork (Subway) Permit Information
- This is a long, strenuous hike through the Left Fork of North Creek to the Subway slot canyon.
- There is no trail, this is an off-trail Wilderness route.
- Hikers need to scramble over large boulders and hike in and out of the creek all day.
- The route takes most visitors 6 to 10 hours to complete.
- Hikers get lost in this area every year. Following a well written route description and a topographical map is crucial.
- Snow and ice in the cold winter months may necessitate wet or dry suits.
Other Route Information
There is a “top-down” Left Fork (Subway) route as well. The top-down route is a technical canyoneering route that requires ropes, harnesses, rappelling skills and equipment, long swims through extremely cold water, and route finding skills. Wetsuits are recommended in even the hottest weather.