Commercial Use Authorizations

Commercial Services

A business (including non-profit organizations) or an individual must obtain either a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) or Concession Contract prior to conducting any commercial activity in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve. These permits and contracts are issued and administered by the National Park Service (NPS).

A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is necessary to conduct commercial activities such as air taxi services, big game transport, boating trips, guided hiking and more. Please review the application, instructions, checklist, and additional information carefully to ensure your package is completed properly. Applications are accepted annually between November 1 and April 30. A fully completed application package including insurance, fee payment, and other required documentation must be received or postmarked by the April 30 deadline. Completed application packages should be emailed to

The National Park Service (NPS) issues prospectuses to solicit offerors for concession contracts. Contracts are awarded through a competitive selection process and are generally for a term of ten years or less. Concession contract opportunities in Wrangell-St. Elias include sport hunting guide services in the preserve and historic tours of the buildings in the Kennecott National Mines Historic Landmark.

Visit if you are interested in becoming a NPS concessioner

Tools and forms are available for authorized concessioners at Wrangell-St. Elias.

A directory of CUA holders and concessioners can be found at For more information on CUA's or concession contracts please contact the Wrangell's Concessions Management Specialist at 907-822-7206 or email us.

Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land

On January 22, 2021, the US District Court for the District of Columbia issued a decision in Price v. Barr determining the permit and fee requirements applying to commercial filming under 54 USC 100905, 43 CFR Part 5, and 36 CRF Part 5 are unconstitutional. The National Park Service is currently determining how this decision will be implemented.

Following the recent court decision, the National Park Service will not be implementing or enforcing the commercial filming portions of 43 CFR Part 5 until further notice, including accepting applications, issuing permits, enforcing the terms and conditions of permits, issuing citations related to permits, or collecting cost recovery and location fees for commercial filming activities.

As regulations regarding commercial filming permits are being reassessed, those interested in commercial filming activities on land managed by the National Park Service are encouraged to contact the park's Special Use Permit Coordinator at 907-822-7206 for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources.

Do I need a permit to film? Currently, the National Park Service is not issuing commercial filming permits but is in the process of evaluating how best to regulate filming activities that affect visitors and park resources. All applicable laws and regulations governing activities and public use in parks still apply, including park hours and areas open and closed to the public.

Videographers, filmers, producers, directors, and other staff associated with commercial filming are reminded that rules and regulations that apply to all park visitors still apply to filming activities even if no permit is needed for their activity. Check with the park staff for more information on closures, sensitive resources, and other safety tips.


Drone Use: Launching, landing, or operating of drones (i.e., unmanned aircraft) from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.


For more information regarding Commercial Use Authorizations in Wrangell-St. Elias, please contact Janice Maslen at (907) 822-7206 or email.

You can find information about commercial visitor services in all Alaskan national parks on the Alaska Regional Office website. Information includes types of commercial visitor services authorizations, a directory of providers in Alaska, and info about contracts and leases.

Last updated: February 5, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve
PO Box 439
Mile 106.8 Richardson Highway

Copper Center, AK 99573


907 822-5234

Contact Us