Using a bear-resistant food container is the preferred alternative for storing food and other scented items that will attract bears. Using one of the listed approved canisters is defintely preferable to hanging these items. These have been extensively tested by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group.
Tips and tricks to help you use your bear canister:
- Plan your bear canister needs based on the size of your group.
- Pack primarily low-volume/calorie-dense foods.
- Remove bulky commercial packaging from your food to conserve space and weight.
- Store your bear-resistant food canister overnight on flat level ground at least 70-100 yards from your campsite. Do not place canister near a cliff or water source. Bears may knock the canister around or roll it down a hill.
- Do not leave anything attached to the canister - ropes and straps attached to the canister may allow a bear to carry it away.
Backpacker Model 812
Garcia Machine, Visalia, CA 93292
Bear Vault Models 110b, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500
Bearikade Weekender MKII (1766 and higher) and Expedition MKII (1766 and higher)
Wild Ideas, LLC
Santa Ynez, CA 93460
The Bear Keg
Kalispell, MT 599901
The Bare Boxer Contender and 202
Golf City Products
Chatsworth, CA 91311
UDAP Industries, Inc.
Butte, MT 59702
Big Daddy and Lil Sami
Lighter1 Bear Canisters
Seattle, WA 98108