Permits & Reservations

Backcountry Camping Permits

Permits are required for overnight trips into the Wilderness Area. Permits are FREE and must be acquired in person at either the Painted Desert Visitor Center or Rainbow Forest Museum, at least an hour before the park closes. All campers in the group must sign the agreement. You will need your license plate number.


Special Use Permits

Professional Photography/Filming Permits are issued for photography, filming, and associated sound recording to ensure protection of resources, to prevent significant disruption of normal visitor uses, or when they involve props, models, professional crews and casts or set dressings. Permits are required for after-hours access and to access areas normally closed to the visiting public. Other special use activities can use 10-930 form.

Filming Information Sheet

10-930 Special Use Permit Application

10-932 Commercial Filming and Photography Application

For more information about special use permits or other fee questions, please contact us.

Last updated: November 24, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

1 Park Road, #2217
Petrified Forest, AZ 86028


(928) 524-6228

Contact Us