Wilderness Camping Permits are required for all overnight stays in the wilderness (backcountry) year-round.
For trips into quota areas (yellow/red camps on Campsite Map) taking place between May 1 and September 30, reservations are accepted by fax or mail using the form at the bottom of this page.
Please read through the Quota Area information below before filling out the form.
- Due to delays in USPS mail forwarding, Do NOT mail reservation forms in for the rest of September, 2017.
- Reservations are accepted starting March 15th each year for the entire reservation period: May 1 - September 30.
- Reservations received prior to March 15 will be discarded.
- The Wilderness permit fee is $8 per person per night for everyone 16 or older. Those 15 years old and younger are free but still counted in the group size. Annual Wilderness Passes are $45 per person.
- Due to extremely high volume of reservations and visitors, we cannot accept reservations less than 72 hours in advance of your trip start date. - For example, if you are starting your hike on July 10th, you would need to submit your reservation prior to 8am on July 7th. You can still try for a walk-up site in a quota areas the day of your hike or day before by stopping at one of our staffed WICs during business hours.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email from us, we were unable to process your reservation. Reservations may take several weeks to process during busy periods due to volume and you will not get confirmation of your reservation until it is processed.
Quotas: For the following high-use wilderness camp areas, overnight use limits are in effect between May 1 and September 30 to help minimize human impacts and provide a quality wilderness experience.
Reservations for non-quota areas (brown camps on Campsite Map) are not accepted. Permits for these areas are not limited and may be picked up at a permit office the day of your hike or day before.
Ozette Coast (Yellow Banks to Point of the Arches).... Permits must be obtained through the WIC prior to arrival in the Ozette area. 100% of quota is reservable.
Royal Basin/Royal Lake...Permits must be obtained from the WIC prior to arrival in this area. 100% of quota is reservable.
Grand and Badger Valleys (including the Deer Park to Obstruction Point Trail).... 50% advance reservations available. The other 50% is available first-come first-served from the WIC in person during business hours up to 24 hours in advance. This area includes all areas from Obstruction Point to Grand Pass, Badger Valley and Lake Lillian.
Lake Constance.... Permits must be obtained from the WIC prior to arrival at the trailhead. 100% of quota is reservable.
Upper Lena Lake....Permits must be obtained from the WIC prior to arrival at the trailhead. 100% of quota is reservable.
Flapjack Lakes (includes Gladys Divide)....Permits must be obtained from the WIC prior to arrival in the Flapjack Lakes trailhead. 100% of quota is reservable.
Sol Duc/Seven Lakes Basin/Mink Lake area (including Cat Basin, High Divide and Little Divide). 50% advance reservations available. The other 50% is available first-come first-served from the WIC during business hours up to 24 hours in advance. If there is only 1 site, then that site is reservable.
Hoh Lake and C.B. Flats.... 50% advance reservations available. The other 50% is available first-come first-served from the WIC in person during business hours up to 24 hours in advance.
Hoh River Trail.... Reservations are available for Elk Lake (including Martin Creek) and Glacier Meadows. 50% advance reservations available. The other 50% is available first-come first-served from the WIC in person during business hours up to 24 hours in advance. Reservations are also recommended for group sites (sites for 7-12 persons) and stock sites along the Hoh River Trail.
Important information about reservations & quota areas:
- Camping is permitted only in designated sites within quota areas.
- Campsites at larger camp areas are not individually assigned but are first come, first served for permit holders.
- In quota areas, deviation from your permit itinerary is not allowed, except in cases of emergency.
- In other areas (brown campsites on Trip Planner Map), permits are not limited and can be picked up at a permit office the day of or day before your hike. Campsites are first come, first served.
Reservation Form Notes:
- Do not submit form via both fax and mail. Submit only once and submit only 1 copy! Duplicate requests will not be refunded.
- Do not submit the form or credit card information via email. This is not a secure means of sending a credit card number!
- DO NOT fax the form to any other fax #. Use only: (360) 565-3108
- Do not call to verify that we received your fax. Please be patient and wait for email confirmation. If you do not receive one after a few weeks, you may email us to verify that we received your request.
- Forms submitted without payment information will be denied.
- Be sure to use the "Camp Area Map" names when you list your campsites.
- If you are doing more than one trip (i.e. 2 nights at Cape Alava then 2 nights at Moose Lake) you will need to submit a separate form for each trip.
- If you are staying in red and brown camp areas on the same hike, please include the brown camps (the full itinerary) when you send in your reservation. We will charge the permit fee for all your nights in the park.
- Annual Wilderness Pass holders do not the pay permit fee. Other members of their group who do not have their own Annual Wilderness Pass will still pay the $8 per person per night fee.
- Wilderness Permit fees are non-refundable. If you have to cancel your trip, you may transfer the dates of the permit to 1 alternate set of dates within 30 days of the first day of your original hike. If you need to change the date a second time, the permit fee will be charged again.
- Use the Fee Amount table below to calculate your fee.
- You will receive a reply via email as soon as we process your form, if we have questions or your trip is not possible due to lack of availability. Please be sure to check your email.
- Your reservation confirmation is not your permit! You must exchange your reservation confirmation for your permit at a Wilderness Information Center during business hours.
- Please do not send cover letters/pages with faxed forms.
- If you do not receive a confirmation via email, we were not able to process your reservation. Do NOT assume that once you send your form, you have a reservation.