The Wilderness Information Center (WIC) will accept Wilderness Camping Permit reservation requests beginning February 15, 2018. Reservation requests must be submitted at least two weeks before the start of your trip.
Reservations for Wilderness Permits will be accepted via email, U.S. Mail, or in person at the Wilderness Information Center in Port Angeles.
Wilderness Camping Permits are required for all overnight stays in the wilderness (backcountry) year-round.
Reservations for Wilderness Camping Permits are recommended from May 1st to September 30th when camping for one or more nights in a Quota Area. See list below. Reservations are not accepted for trips that take place entirely in non-quota areas.
Due to an administrative closure, we will NOT be accepting reservations for the Seven Lakes Basin/High Divide area for the period of July 9th through July 20th.
Upper Hoh Road will be closed for construction from September 5th through October 3rd. There will be no vehicle access to the Hoh Visitor Center trailhead during this time.
If you have any questions, including changes to reservation requests, please email us
- Reservations are accepted starting February 15th each year for the entire reservation period: May 1st - September 30th.
- Reservations received prior to February 15th will not be processed.
- Reservations must be received at least two weeks before the start of your trip.
- The Wilderness permit fee is $8 per person per night for everyone 16 or older.
- Those 15 years old and younger are free but must be included in the group size.
- Annual (Flat Fee) Wilderness Passes are $45 per person.
- We will send you an email after we process your request with a reservation number and a link to pay for the permit via Pay.gov, once you receive this e-mail, you will have 72 hours to pay for your permit. After you pay for the permit you will receive a confirmation email. This confirmation is your reservation for the permit.
- Due to the large volume of requests, reservations can take several weeks to process from the time of submission.
- Reservations for non-quota areas (brown campsites on Trip Planner Map) are only accepted if your trip includes one or more nights at a quota area.
- Permits not including quota area campsites are not limited and may be picked up at a permit office the day of your hike or the day before.
For the following wilderness camp areas, overnight use limits are in effect to help minimize human impacts and provide a quality wilderness experience.
100% of the quota may be reserved in advance for:
- Ozette Coast
- Yellow Banks to Point of the Arches
- Royal Basin/Royal Lake
- Lake Constance
- Upper Lena Lake
- Flapjack Lakes
- Including Gladys Divide
50% of the quota may be reserved at the locations listed below. The other 50% is available on a first-come, first-served from the WIC during business hours up to 24 hours in advance. If there is only 1 site, then that site is reservable.
- Grand and Badger Valleys
- This includes all areas from Deer Park to Obstruction Point, Obstruction Point to Grand Pass, Badger Valley, and Lake Lillian.
- Sol Duc/Seven Lakes Basin/Mink Lake area
- Including Cat Basin, High Divide, and Little Divide
- Hoh Lake and C.B. Flats
- Hoh River Trail
- Reservations are available for Elk Lake, Martin Creek, and Glacier Meadows
- Reservations are also recommended for group sites (party size 7-12 persons) and stock sites along the Hoh River Trail.
Important information about reservations & quota areas:
- Camping is only permitted in designated sites within quota areas.
- In quota areas, deviation from your permit itinerary is not allowed, except in cases of emergency.
- Campsites at larger camp areas are not individually assigned but are first-come, first-served for permit holders.
- In other areas (brown campsites on Trip Planner Map), permits are not limited and can be picked up at a permit office the day of or day before your hike. Campsites are first-come, first-served.
- Download Reservation Request Form
- Fill out form completely using a PDF Viewer (Adobe Reader, etc.) and save
- Attach the saved PDF form to an email and send it to OLYM_WIC_Reservations@nps.gov
- Submit request only once. Duplicate requests may be charged multiple times and will not be refunded.
- Please do not submit credit card information via email.
- Please do not call to verify that we received your email. Processing of your request can take up to several weeks. If you do not receive a confirmation after several weeks, please email us to verify that we received your request.
- Be sure to use the "Trip Planner Map" names when you list your campsites.
- If you are doing more than one trip (i.e. 2 nights at Cape Alava then 2 nights at Moose Lake) you will need to submit a separate form for each trip.
- If you are staying in both quota and non-quota camp areas on the same trip, please include all nights on your reservation request form.
- Once you have received a Reservation number email from the WIC, you will be directed to pay for the reservation at Pay.gov. You will have 72 hours from the time you receive the email to complete payment, otherwise your permit will be cancelled. After your payment is made you will receive a confirmation email, confirming your payment and reservation.
- A confirmation is NOT a permit. You must exchange your reservation confirmation for your permit at a Wilderness Information Center during business hours.
- Annual (Flat Fee) Wilderness Pass holders do not the pay permit fee. Other members of their group who do not have their own Annual Wilderness Pass will still pay the $8 per person per night fee.
- Wilderness Permit fees are non-refundable. If you have to cancel your trip, you may transfer the dates of the permit to 1 alternate set of dates within 30 days of the first day of your original hike. If you need to change the date a second time, the permit fee will be charged again.
- Use the Fee Amount table below to calculate your fee.