This webpage is under construction; please check back for updates in 2018!
Wilderness Camping Permits are required for all overnight stays in the wilderness (backcountry) year-round.
Please read through the Quota Area information below.
- Reservations are accepted starting March 15th each year for the entire reservation period: May 1st - September 30th.
- Reservations received prior to March 15th will be shredded.
- The Wilderness permit fee is $8 per person per night for everyone 16 or older.
- Those 15 years old and younger are free but must be included in the group size.
- Annual Wilderness Passes are $45 per person.
- Reservation requests must be received by the WIC no later than 8am three days before your trips begins.
- For example, if you are starting your hike on July 10th, you would need to submit your reservation prior to 8am on July 7th.
- You may still try for a walk-up site in quota areas the day of your hike or the day before by stopping at one of our staffed WICs during business hours.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email from us, we were unable to process your reservation.
- Reservations may take several weeks to process.
- Reservations for non-quota areas (brown campsites on Trip Planner Map), are not accepted.
- Permits for these areas are not limited and may be picked up at a permit office the day of your hike or the day before.
For the following wilderness camp areas, overnight use limits are in effect to help minimize human impacts and provide a quality wilderness experience.
100% of the quota may be reserved for:
- Ozette Coast
- Yellow Banks to Point of the Arches
- Royal Basin/Royal Lake
- Lake Constance
- Upper Lena Lake
- Flapjack Lakes
- Including Gladys Divide
50% of the quota may be reserved at the below locations. The other 50% is available first-come, first-served from the WIC during business hours up to 24 hours in advance. If there is only 1 site, then that site can be reserved.
- Grand and Badger Valleys
- This includes all areas from Deer Park to Obstruction Point, Obstruction Point to Grand Pass, Badger Valley and Lake Lillian.
- Sol Duc/Seven Lakes Basin/Mink Lake area
- Including Cat Basin, High Divide and Little Divide
- Hoh Lake and C.B. Flats
- Hoh River Trail
- Reservations are available for Elk Lake, Martin Creek and Glacier Meadows
- Reservations are also recommended for group sites (party size 7-12 persons) and stock sites along the Hoh River Trail.
Important information about reservations & quota areas:
- Camping is permitted only in designated sites within quota areas.
- In quota areas, deviation from your permit itinerary is not allowed, except in cases of emergency.
- Campsites at larger camp areas are not individually assigned but are first come, first served for permit holders.
- In other areas (brown campsites on Trip Planner Map), permits are not limited and can be picked up at a permit office the day of or day before your hike. Campsites are first come, first served.
Reservation Form Notes:
- Do not submit form via both fax and mail. Submit only once and submit only 1 copy! Duplicate requests will not be refunded.
- Do not submit credit card information via email. This is not a secure means of sending a credit card number!
- DO NOT fax the form to any other number. Use only: (360) 565-3108
- Do not call to verify that we received your fax.
- Please be patient and wait for email confirmation.
- If you do not receive one after a few weeks, you may email us to verify that we received your request.
- Forms submitted without payment information will be denied.
- Be sure to use the "Camp Area Map" names when you list your campsites.
- If you are doing more than one trip (i.e. 2 nights at Cape Alava then 2 nights at Moose Lake) you will need to submit a separate form for each trip.
- If you are staying in red and brown camp areas on the same hike, please include the brown camps (the full itinerary) when you send in your reservation. We will charge the permit fee for all your nights in the park.
- Annual Wilderness Pass holders do not the pay permit fee. Other members of their group who do not have their own Annual Wilderness Pass will still pay the $8 per person per night fee.
- Wilderness Permit fees are non-refundable. If you have to cancel your trip, you may transfer the dates of the permit to 1 alternate set of dates within 30 days of the first day of your original hike. If you need to change the date a second time, the permit fee will be charged again.
- Use the Fee Amount table below to calculate your fee.
- You will receive a reply via email as soon as we process your form, if we have questions or if your trip is not possible due to lack of availability. Please be sure to check your email and spam folder.
- Your reservation confirmation is NOT your permit! You must exchange your reservation confirmation for your permit at a Wilderness Information Center during business hours.
- Please do not send cover letters/pages with faxed forms.
- If you do not receive a confirmation via email, we were not able to process your reservation. Do not assume that once you send your form, you have a reservation.