Permits & Reservations



  • No advance reservations are needed to enter Joshua Tree National Park.
  • Reservations are required for ranger-led tours of Keys Ranch and are only available in person on the day of the tour at Oasis Visitor Center starting at 8:30 am.
  • Some campgrounds are first come, first served, whereas others require reservations during the peak season. Reservations may be made on


The Special Park Uses Office will be closed April 1 through May 6, 2018. No permits will be issued during that time.

Backcountry Permits
A permit is not required for day hiking in the backcountry. To backcountry camp, you must park and register at a backcountry registration board. There is no fee. Your registration is your permit.
Bolting Permits

The rules that govern the placement of fixed anchors for rock climbing are complex. A permit may or may not be required depending on a number of factors. You are responsible for following bolting guidelines and applying for a permit if applicable.

Business Permits and Commercial Use Authorizations

Tour groups coming to Joshua Tree National Park must abide by park regulations and safety guidelines.

Please contact the Special Park Use Coordinator, Jeannie Wilson, at (760) 367-5518 or

Filming Permits

Commercial filming or photography requires a filming permit. Permits are not required for visitors using cameras for personal use, or for film or video news crews at breaking news events.

Filming Fees

  • Application/Administration Fee: $315.00, non-refundable. This is paid online with a credit card. Once your permit has been received and reviewed we will send instructions on how to make your payment.
  • Location Fee: There is a location fee and that is determined by the total number of cast and crew you will have on location. Below is a table that lists the location fees.
# of Cast/Crew Video/Motion Picture Location Fees Still Photography Location Fees
1–10 $150/day $50/day
11–30 $250/day $150/day
31–49 $500/day $250/day
50 or more $750/day $500/day
  • Monitoring Fee: $50/hour, non-negotiable. There is a monitoring fee for the Park Ranger that is required to be on location for every shoot that is permitted in the park.
  • Liability Insurance: You will be required to provide a copy of your liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000.00 and the certificate holder on the policy must read THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA/JOSHUA TREE NATIONAL PARK.
  • Deposit: A deposit is required and ranges from $500.00 - $20,000.00. This will depend on the scope of the project and the locations you will be using. Each project is different so this fee is not a set price.
  • Once your permit is received it will take 10-15 business days to process.

Filming locations

Permits for filming/photography are only granted in the following locations:

  • Hidden Valley Picnic Area (Not available February–May)
  • Quail Springs (Not available February–May)
  • Cap Rock
  • Rattlesnake Picnic Area
  • Live Oak
  • Split Rock

Commercial Filming/Still Photography Permit
To apply for a commercial filming/still photography permit, fill out the Long Form request.

Please contact the Special Park Use Coordinator, Jeannie Wilson, at (760) 367-5518 or


Guiding Permits

Commercial Use Authorizations are available for guided day hikes, backpacking trips, rock climbing, photography workshops, art workshops, and motorcycle tours. If you're leading a trip in Joshua Tree National Park, ensure your group is aware of park regulations and safety concerns.


Scientific Research and Collecting Permits

A permit is required to carry out scientific research or related activities in the park. Fees are not charged for the permit, but researchers must submit an annual activity report. Scientific research permit applications are completed online and reviewed by discipline specialists, who will contact the applicant for further information.


Special Use Permits

A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization, rather than the public at large, and that require some degree of management from the National Park Service in order to protect park resources and the public interest.

Special-use permits are required for events such as: weddings, ceremonies, First Amendment activities, festivals, concerts, cultural programs, sporting events, and public spectator attractions. Please contact the Special Park Use Coordinator, Jeannie Wilson, at (760) 367-5518 or

Last updated: June 19, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

74485 National Park Drive
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277-3597


(760) 367-5500

Contact Us