Special Permit Fees

The National Park Service (NPS) requires permits for business activities in NPS areas to protect the park visitor, the business operator, the federal government from liability, and to ensure that commercial activities in the parks are appropriate. Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 5.3 prohibits business activity in NPS areas without a permit.

While permits are required for camping, overnight boating, or scuba diving activities, there are no permit fees.

Special Use Permit (SUP)

Isle Royale National Park will no longer require Special use permits (SUP) for non-commercial/non-profit groups who are conducting trips to the island for normal recreational activities. SUPs will still be issued for filming in the park and special events, such as weddings, or when conducting any activity that is out of the ordinary or may have an above normal affect on park resources or the wilderness experience (up to the discretion of park management). For an SUP, there is a $50 non-refundable application fee. SUP liability insurance may be required.

Commercial Use Authorization (CUA)

For-profit groups such as camps, outfitters, tour groups, and any operation providing goods, activities, or service to the general public within the park and which is undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization, or corporation must obtain a Commercial Use Authorization. There is a non-refundable application fee. CUA liability insurance is required.

Commercial Filming or Still Photography

All commercial filming or commercial still photography requires a permit and associated fees. Commercial filming is defined as digital or film recording of a visual image or sound recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience, such as for a documentary, television or feature film, advertisement, or similar project. It does not include news coverage or visitor use.


Weddinsgs require a special use permit, which involves a non-refundable $50 application fee. Once your application is aprroved, a special use permit will be prepared and mailed to you for your signature. At that time, a non-refundable permit fee of $100 must be remitted with your signed permit. An additional charge of $50 per hour will be incurred for a National Park Service event monitor if needed, excluding those using Forever Resorts facilities.

Group Camping

A non-refundable processing fee of $25 per permit is required for group camping reservations (in addition to the daily per person fee). For more information, look over the group camping webpage.

Last updated: February 23, 2021

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

800 East Lakeshore Drive
Houghton, MI 49931


(906) 482-0984

Contact Us