What to Do During Your Visit
1. Visit the award-winning Homestead Heritage Center that is home to the National Museum of Homesteading. View the 23-minute award-winning film "Land of Dreams, Homesteading America."
2. Enjoy special exhibits and farm/household displays at the Education Center.
3. Travel back in time by visiting historic buildings including the Freeman School and Palmer-Epard Cabin
4. Participate in special events such as living history or nature programs. Learn more about Homestead's special events.
5. Shop the bookstores at the Heritage Center and Education Center for books, souvenirs, and gifts. Profits from sales are returned to the park to enhance educational and interpretive activities and fund research.
6. Get active in nature by walking the trails through the tallgrass prairie or solitude of the bur oak forest.
7. Eat a picnic lunch at one of the picnic areas.
8. Research your family history and view your ancestor's homestead records at the Heritage Center.
Other opportunities to consider:
- Participate in living history demonstrations during the summer months.
- Join in one of the numerous special events and programs offered by the monument.
- Use the cell phone audio tour stops to learn more about each site at the monument
- Participate in the Junior Ranger program and earn a badge; booklets are available at the Heritage and Education Center
- Find our Earthcache or two Geocaches
- Go on a GPS walk
Also, check out these sample road trips from the Nebraska Tourism Commission:
Southeast Nebraska Tour
O' Pioneers: Exploring Southeast Nebraska (Group Tour)
Group tours visiting Beatrice, Nebraska, Southeast Nebraska or Northeast Kansas, can learn about these other sites to visit while in the area.
Beatrice Chamber of Commerce
Nebraska Travel and Tourism
Kansas Travel and Tourism
Lincoln Chamber of Commerce