While hunting is not permitted in Great Sand Dunes National Park, licensed hunters may hunt in Great Sand Dunes National Preserve during designated legal seasons. Hunter registration with the National Park Service is now voluntary (not required). Please be familiar with hunting access, game transport corridors, and guidelines before beginning your hunt.
Click "View Park Map" from any page on this website to view a map showing park and preserve boundaries.
Hunters may access Great Sand Dunes National Preserve via:
- Medano Pass Primitive Road (from the west or east)
- Music Pass Trailhead (from the east on CR119)
- Mosca Pass (usually accessed from the east on CR 583; hunting access is permitted from the Montville/Mosca Pass Trailhead on the west side of the range, but game transport is only permitted through the east end of the trail at Mosca Pass)
- Liberty Trailhead (northern backcountry access to Rio Grande National Forest and Great Sand Dunes National Preserve)
- Sand Ramp Trail (About 1/2 mile North of Point of No Return)
Game Transport and Hunter Access Location Map (.pdf file, updated September 2016)
View the map linked above for details on where you can access hunting in the preserve and where you can transport game through the national park.
Registration is suggested, but not required, for hunting in the national preserve. This can be done by:
1) calling the Visitor Center at 719-378-6395, or
2) stopping at the Visitor Center between 9:00-4:00, or
3) leaving a message after hours at 719-378-6326
Please see the Great Sand Dunes Compendiums of Regulations for details.
Reservations for Cold Creek
Due to overgrazing, there is a limit on pack animals permitted in the Cold Creek drainage. No more than two hunting parties with a combined maximum of six (6) head of livestock may establish campsites and maintain their livestock within the watershed drainage of Cold Creek at any one time during hunting season. Any one hunting party is limited to four (4) head of livestock. Each hunting party with livestock must have a permit to camp and/or hunt in the Cold Creek drainage. Please call ahead to check if your animals are within the limit, and to reserve pack animal use in Cold Creek; call 719-378-6395 between 9:00-4:00 to reserve.
Registration is not required just to carry firearms through the national park. (See details on firearms regulations).
View a list of commercial guides that are authorized to lead hunts in Great Sand Dunes National Preserve.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hunting at Great Sand Dunes (pdf, updated 2017)
If you have other general questions about hunting, please email or call the Visitor Center at 719-378-6395.