Getting Married in the Park

Fish Creek Amphitheater
Fish Creek Amphitheater



I want to get married in Glacier National Park!
What do I need to do?

2024 Updates

Road Construction and Project Locations
Several areas of the park are scheduled for road construction and infrastructure upgrades. There will be some delays and closures associated with these projects. Visit our Current Conditions page for specifics.

In the Many Glacier valley, a large construction project will be taking place September 15, 2024 through spring 2026. During this time the Many Glacier amphitheater will be unavailable.

Will You and Your Wedding Party Need a Going-to-the-Sun Road Corridor Vehicle Reservation?
That depends. Special Use Permits are considered a “service reservation” under the vehicle reservation system in 2024. If your event is in the Going-to-the-Sun Road corridor between the Apgar check point and Big Bend, you will not need a separate vehicle reservation. Please see the vehicle reservation system webpage for additional details.


Applying for a Permit

Do I Need a Permit?
Any and all vow exchanges, elopements, ceremonies, weddings, or special events, etc., require a Special Use Permit. This is regardless of the size of the group, whether or not it is “officiated,” or if papers are being signed. If you are entering the park with a photographer only to take photographs and no vow exchange, signing of documents, or union is being witnessed, then no permit is required.

If you are conducting a "mock" ceremony for the sake of photography you may still be required to obtain a permit. Please contact our office to discuss further before submitting an application.

Why Do I Need a Permit?
The National Park Service is required by law to protect and conserve all resources under their care including scenery, wildlife, and tranquility. As such, it is sometimes necessary to regulate or limit activities within the park to reduce strain on park resources and provide a positive experience for all visitors. Therefore, the National Park Service has the authority to require a permit for certain activities, including weddings.

Can I Get Married Anywhere in the Park?
Due to increased demand and strain on park resources, we have limited the areas for which we issue wedding permits within the park. See our Wedding Locations page for more details. You can see pictures of some of these locations on Glacier National Park’s Flickr site.

How Do I Get a Permit?
Step 1: Download a Special Use Permit application.

Step 2: Use the information found here and on the wedding location information page to fill out your application with as much detail as possible.

  • Be sure to provide exact locations and times on your permit application. Responses such as “various” or “Two Medicine” are not acceptable locations and “sunrise” or “afternoon” are not acceptable times. Be specific. You can include a range of dates or times as alternatives for the circumstance when your first and second choices are unavailable. Staff will then select a day and a 2 hour block from that range that is available.

  • Be sure to include contact information for your photographer if you are using one.

  • Under “Equipment” list anything that is not on your person that you might want to bring with you. Examples include camera equipment, chairs, musical instruments, speakers, etc.

  • Be sure to include all participants in your people and vehicle counts. This should include the wedding/elopement couple, officiants, photographers/videographers, and all guests (regardless of age).

  • Be aware that only a certain amount of vehicles are allowed, depending on the total number of participants. Going over established limits listed in the permit is strictly prohibited. Permitted number of vehicles per number of participants are as follows:

    • Up to 20 participants: 4 vehicles
    • 21–60 participants: 6 vehicles
    • 61–100 participants: 10 vehicles
    • 100–250 participants: 15 vehicles

Note: If you plan on using a commercial/charter vehicle, be sure to put this information next to the number of vehicles.

Step 3: Email your completed application (word or pdf format preferred) to Application packets, which consist of the application and non-refundable application fee must be received at the park a minimum of 20 business days before the requested permit date or your permit request can be denied. Applications will not be accepted more than one year before your event.

Step 4: Pay the $125 non-refundable application fee electronically by visiting Do not submit payment via check or cash. Complete the "Glacier NP Special Park Uses Fees" form. It is preferred if the permittee name on matches the SUP application name submitted. You will receive a confirmation email from; retain this for your records. You do not need to forward this confirmation. The Special Park Uses office will automatically receive an email confirmation/receipt of the payment.

Step 5: Once your application and payment has been received, a Glacier employee will review it and reach out via phone or email before sending you a preliminary permit for review and signature. Your permit is not valid until it has been signed by you and an NPS official. Applications are processed in the order they are received so please be patient.

Step 6: You will have fourteen (14) calendar days to review, sign, and return your prelimary permit (pdf preferred) via email to for final processing. If your permit is not returned in that timeframe, the permit will be cancelled.

By signing the permit, you are certifying that you have read, understood and will abide by all of the permit conditions, and the details are correct. Once the permit is finalized, no changes may be made to the permit except those necessary due to an unanticipated park closure.

Step 7: A copy of the fully executed permit signed by the authorizing official, will be returned to you via email.

Step 8: You will need to have a printed copy of the fully executed permit with you on site during the event. You are expected to share the permit with any service providers including photographer, videographer, officiant, or event planner, and they are expected to understand the regulations and permit conditions.

If you decide to not have your wedding in the park after the permit has been issued, please contact the Special Park Uses office to cancel your permit so the location and date can be made available to another applicant.


Permits That Have Been Issued

No Changes to Permits
Due to the extremely high volume of applications being received by our office, we are currently unable to accommodate any changes to permits that have already been issued, except those necessary due to an unanticipated park closure. Once your permit has been issued, the details of the permit are final.

Check Status of Your Wedding Location

Park entrances/roads may be closed at any time due to weather, emergencies, congestion, or construction. Please remember that it is the responsibility of the permit holder to continually check the status of the area for which a permit has been issued. If you received a permit for an area that is only accessible seasonally and it appears that the area will not be open on the requested date, you must reach out to the Office of Special Park Uses in advance to request a location change. We will do our best to accommodate location change requests, but can't guarantee them. Changes to permits must be approved in writing by an authorized official prior to the event. Changes will never be granted retroactively.

Permits are Only Valid for the Date, Time, and Location Listed
Permits are nontransferable between individuals or locations. Permits do not grant you access to closed areas or allow you to drive vehicles into areas otherwise closed to vehicle traffic. If the area for which you received a permit is inaccessible and you do not receive an approved location change directly from the Office of Special Park Uses in advance of the date on your permit, your permit is considered invalid; you may not hold your wedding inside the park at an alternate location.

Only the Office of Special Park Uses Can Approve Changes
Park employees who are not with the Office of Special Park Uses or approved by said office to make changes, cannot approve any changes. Changes must be approved by the Office of Special Park Uses to avoid potential scheduling conflicts with other permitted events throughout the park.

Hiking or Biking to Your Event
Please be aware that many areas of the park are still accessible to hikers and/or bikers during times when they are closed to vehicles. An area closed to vehicles does not necessarily mean it is inaccessible for your event, or that your permit is invalid. Unless there is another closure prohibiting you from accessing the area, you may hike to your permitted site during seasonal vehicle closures; your permit will remain valid.


Wedding Location Map


Last updated: March 14, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

PO Box 128
West Glacier, MT 59936



Contact Us