|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Wyatt Frampton, 406-751-2247
Contact: Ali Ulwelling, 406-751-2270
- Glacier National Park
- Flathead National Forest, excluding the Bob Marshall and Great Bear Wilderness
- Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation, Northwest Land Office / State Land and Private Classified Forested Land within Flathead, Lake, Lincoln, and Sanders Counties. (Classified Forest Lands are defined in ARM 36.10.101 and determination may also be found on tax bills.)
- Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks, Region 1 & 2 within Kalispell Restrictions Area
- Flathead, Lake, Lincoln, and Sanders Counties
- Kootenai National Forest is going into Stage I Restrictions. However, all surrounding private land classified as Forested is under Stage II restrictions.
Local agencies and partners are working in coordination to suppress all fires, but critical fire conditions often mean that fires have high potential to grow quickly and escape initial attack. Any new ignition puts firefighters and local communities at risk.
Please visit: https://firerestrictions.us/mt/ for clarification on Stage II fire restrictions.
Included with this release:
- Definition of Stage II Fire Restrictions with standard exemptions list.
- Points of Contact for additional information.
- Building maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- The following acts are prohibited from 1:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. and a one hour foot patrol in the work area is required following cessation of all activities:
- Operating any internal combustion engine.
- Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
- Using an explosive.
- Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads and trails.
- Persons with a written permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act.
- Persons using a device fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within 3 feet of the device.
- Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.
- Operating motorized vehicles on designated roads and trails.
- Emergency repair of public utilities and railroads as per attached conditions.
- Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
- Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- All land within a city boundary is exempted.
Other exemptions unique to each agency/tribe.
The exemptions listed are the standard exemptions, additional and more specific exemptions may exist depending on your location. To see if there are specific exemptions in your area please visit: https://firerestrictions.us/mt/ or contact your appropriate fire protection agency with further questions.
- You could be fined up to $5,000 individually or $10,000 for an organization and imprisonment up to 6 months for violating restrictions and closures.
- You can be held liable for all suppression costs and damages if you start a fire.
- Flathead National Forest – 406-758-5208
- Hungry Horse Ranger District – 406-387-3800
- Tally Lake Ranger District – 406-758-5204
- Swan Lake Ranger District – 406-837-7500
- Spotted Bear Ranger District – 406-758-5376
- Glacier National Park – 406-888-7800
- DNRC Northwest Land Office – 406-751-2240 Kalispell Office – 406-751-2241
- Libby Office – 406-293-2711
- Stillwater Office – 406-881-2371
- Swan Office – 406-754-2301
- Plains Office – 406-826-3851
- MT Fish, Wildlife and Parks – Region 1, Kalispell 752-5501; Region 2, Missoula 542-5500
- Kootenai National Forest – 406-283-7709 Libby Ranger District – 406-283-7531 Rexford Ranger District -- 406-296-7188 Fortine Ranger District –406-296-2536
- Three Rivers Ranger District – 406-295-4693 Cabinet Ranger District -- 406-827-0718
- Flathead County – 406-758-2194
- Lake County – 406-883-7253
- Lincoln County - 406-283-2310 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sanders County – 406-827-6942
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – 406-752-5501