Memorial Area

Fire ring and colonial kitchen and memorial house Museum
Colonial Revival Kitchen, gazebo, and Memorial House Museum

NPS / Stephen Girimont


General Information

  • Upper Trail to the Memorial Area: The upper trail to the Memorial Area begins at the Visitor Center. It is mostly flat and covered with loose gravel. It is 300 yards, one-way, to the Memorial Area. View images of the trail.
  • Lower Trail to the Memorial Area: The lower trail to the Memorial Area begins near the back deck of the Visitor Center. It begins as a flat trail with loose gravel and then has a slight incline. Towards the entrance into the Memorial Area there is a steep incline. It is 300 yards, one-way, to the Memorial Area. View images of the trail.
  • Dancing Marsh Loop Trail: Entering from the trail on the west side of the Memorial Area, the path has a steep, grassy incline. It is about a half-mile walk to the Memorial Area.

  • Memorial Area: There is one family restroom, which is not accessible (closed in winter).
  • Visitor Center: Men's and Women's restrooms are both wheelchair accessible with the doors to enter operating by a push- button. Restrooms can be accessed from inside or outside the Visitor Center.
  • Picnic Area: Men's and Women's restrooms and one accessible family restroom, which has a door lever to open (closed in winter).

  • Memorial Area: One water fountain is located behind the family restroom (not accessible).
  • Visitor Center: A water fountain and water filling station is located inside the Visitor Center, which is wheelchair accessible.
  • Picnic Area: One water fountain that is not wheelchair accessible (closed in winter).

  • Visitor Center (four accessible spaces)
  • Picnic Area (one accessible space)

Area Highlights

Learn about the Memorial House Museum.

The buried foundation of one of the colonial era buildings, that is frequently refered to as  Building X. This foundation has an uncertain historical significance.

  • The Colonial Revival Garden is surrounded by a short wooden fence.
  • Entrance: On the north side of the garden, a brick path surrounded by shrubs leads to a wooden gate with a sliding latch to enter. A gravel path leads to a wooden gate on the south side. A grassy path leads to the east/west wooden gates.
View the Colonial Revival Garden photo gallery.

Constructed in 1932, this building originally served as the park maintenance facility before becoming a craft demonstration shop in the 1970s. The Shop is often used during special events to explain or demonstrate an early 20th century interpretation of colonial trades such as blacksmithing, coopering, cobbling, and wood shingle shaving.
  • The Shop is open during operating hours.
  • Entrance: The door on the front of the Shop has a step. A gravel path leads to the side door.

This building served as the kitchen demonstration area, as well as an office when it was constructed in 1931. Since that time, the kitchen area has remained and the former office space has housed many different exhibits.

Cooking demonstrations are given in the kitchen during special events. The demonstrations highlight historic recipes and cooking techniques.
  • The Colonial Revival Kitchen is open during operating hours.
  • Entrance: A wooden door with a pull string to unlatch can then be pushed to enter.

The Spinning and Weaving Shop is closed. From the windows, items for spinning and weaving can be seen.

View the Spinning and Weaving Shop photo galleries.

The Memorial Area is home to Red Devon Milking Cows, Ossabaw Island Hogs, Hog Island Sheep, oxen, and a horse and mule.

View the Farm Animals photo galleries.

Last updated: October 6, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

1732 Popes Creek Road
Colonial Beach, VA 22443


804 224-1732 x227

Contact Us