Permits & Reservations

A bride in her white dress stands in the tall doorway of Millbrook Church, holding a bouquet of red roses upright against her front
A bride-to-be holds roses as she enters the Millbrook Methodist Episcopal Church. Millbrook Village is a great place to hold your intimate wedding. Call for details.

NPS Photo

Permit Information

Within public lands, certain types of activities may require a special permit. These activities can include many types of organized gatherings, distribution of printed materials (and other first amendment activities, or public expressions of opinion), commercial vehicle and watercraft activities, and other types of activities that are controlled, or possibly prohibited without proper permits. We encourage the public to take advantage of these opportunities, but in a safe manner.

Permitting allows the park to meet the needs of the public in an organized fashion, allowing for everyone to benefit from these wonderful freedoms available to us in the safest way possible.

Please call our special use permit coordinator with questions regarding permits: 570-426-2440.

Common activities requiring a permit:

  • Commercial Photography
  • Weddings
  • Baptisms
  • First Amendment Activities
  • Competitive Event

Permit Application Forms


Commercial Filming Information

Please contact us at (570) 426 - 2440 or for current guidance.

A permit may be required to:

  • maintain public health and safety;
  • protect environmental or scenic values;
  • protect natural or cultural resources;
  • allow for equitable allocation or use of facilities; or
  • avoid conflict among visitor use activities.

Some activities that may require permits:

  • Entering a sensitive resource area
  • Filming in areas that require tickets to enter
  • Filming in visitor centers, campgrounds, or other visitor areas.

The National Park Service manages and protects more than 44 million acres of Congressionally designated wilderness areas under the Wilderness Act of 1964. These areas have additional laws and policies to preserve their wilderness character for future generations. 

Filming activities in wilderness areas must follow all applicable laws and regulations that govern wilderness areas in the park, including prohibitions on structures, installations, motor vehicles, mechanical transport, motorized equipment, motorboats, or landing aircraft. 

Special use Permits for filming are required for all filming activities in wilderness areas, except casual filming by visitors, no matter the group size or equipment used. 

Federal law requires the National Park Service to recover its administrative costs for commercial filming and still photography activities that require a permit. Cost recovery includes an application fee and any additional charges to cover the costs incurred by the National Park Service in processing your request and monitoring the permitted activities. This amount will vary depending on the park and the size and complexity of the permitted activities. The application fee must be submitted with your application. 

In addition, Federal law also requires the National Park Service to collect a location fee that provides a fair return to the United States for the use of park lands for commercial filming and for still photography requires a permit. The National Park Service uses the following fee schedules for filming and photography: 

Commercial Filming

  • 1–2 people, camera & tripod only - $0/day 

  • 1–10 people - $150/day 

  • 11–30 people - $250/day 

  • 31–49 people - $500/day 

  • Over 50 people - $750/day 

Still Photography 

  • 1–10 people - $50/day 

  • 11–30 people - $150/day 

  • Over 30 people - $250/day 

Permits issued for non-commercial filming may be subject to cost recovery charges, including an application fee, but a separate location fee will not be charged. 


Still Photography Information

Still photographers require a permit only when:

  1. The activity takes place at location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed; or
  2. The activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities; or
  3. A park would incur additional administrative costs to monitor the activity.

How do I apply for a permit? 

Permit applications are available through each park's administrative office or website. Contact information for parks can be found on their websites; visit the Find a Park site to locate the park where you would like to photograph.

Recommended Tips:

  • Submit a completed application with the application fee to the park where you want to film or photograph as far in advance as possible.
  • Request a meeting with park staff if your proposed activity is unusual or complex.
  • Early consultation with park staff will allow for timely application processing and allow time to solve any issues that may arise.

What fees will I have to pay? 

The National Park Service will collect a cost recovery charge and a location fee for still photography permits. Cost recovery includes an application fee and any additional charges to cover the costs incurred by the National Park Service in processing your request and monitoring your permit. This amount will vary depending on the park and the size and complexity of your permit. The application fee must be submitted with your application.

In addition, the National Park Service has been directed by Congress to collect a fee to provide a fair return to the United States for the use of park lands. The National Park Service uses the following still photography fee schedule:

  • 1–10 people - $50/day
  • 11–30 people - $150/day
  • Over 30 people - $250/day

Are there other permit requirements?

You may be required to obtain liability insurance naming the United States as additionally insured in an amount commensurate with the risk posed to park resources by your proposed activity. You may also be asked to post a bond to ensure the payment of all charges and fees and the restoration of the area if necessary.

What about photography workshops?

If you are planning a photography workshop, you may need a commercial use authorization. See the commercial use authorization page for more information.


More Information

For more information about special use permits please call (570) 426-2440 or email the park's special use coordinator.


Commercial Vehicle Permits

Legislation allowing limited use of US Route 209 through Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area by some commercial vehicles was signed into law by President Biden as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2023, on December 29, 2022. The legislation allows the utilization of US 209 between US 206 in Milford and Bushkill Falls Road in Bushkill for permitted commercial vehicles with four or fewer axles.

Permits are valid until September 30, 2024. Permits are valid for one fiscal year, beginning October 1st and ending September 30th. All revenue received from permits is used for the administration and enforcement of the program.

All commercial vehicles may travel on U.S. Route 209 between the following points without a permit:

  • Milford to the Delaware River Bridge leading to U.S. Route 206 in New Jersey

  • Mile 0 of U.S. Route 209 in Bushkill to Bushkill Falls Road

Commercial vehicles that are eligible for a permit must be:

  1. Owned and operated by a business located in the recreation area or one or more adjacent municipalities, or

  2. Necessary to provide services to businesses or persons located in the recreation area or one or more of the adjacent municipalities.

The adjacent municipalities are defined by law as: Delaware Township, Dingman Township, Lehman Township, Matamoras Borough, Middle Smithfield Township, Milford Borough, Milford Township, Smithfield Township, and Westfall Township in Pennsylvania.

Commercial Vehicle Permit Application

Commercial vehicle permit applications can be mailed along with proof of insurance and a check or money order of $200 (per vehicle) to:
Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
Attn:  Commercial Vehicle Permit
PO Box 2
Bushkill, PA 18324 

Commercial Vehicle permit applications can also be e-mailed to the fee program manager,, if you wish to pay by credit card.


Research Permits

The National Park Service welcomes proposals for scientific studies on park lands. Proposals may, but are not required to, address resource management needs or other priorities of parks.

A Scientific Research and Collecting Permit is required by federal law for scientific activities related to natural resources or social science studies within NPS units that involve fieldwork, specimen collection, and/or have the potential to affect park resources or visitors.

Permits ensure park managers are aware of research activities, foster good relationships between park staff and outside researchers and scholars, enable researchers and scholars to benefit from knowledge and services provided by park staff, and help NPS learn the outcomes of research

Permits are issued by individual parks.

The Research Permit and Reporting System (RPRS) is the online system to apply for, manage, and report on research permits for most disciplines. RPRS also includes information on park-specific research priorities, contacts, and past studies by other researchers.

Not all disciplines use the RPRS system.

  • Archeology: Permits are required under the Archeological Resources Protection Act. Researchers from outside NPS should first contact each park where they wish to conduct research using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the park’s website. For more information about NPS-wide policies and procedures, see NPS Archeology Guide: Permits for Archeological Investigation.

  • Museum Collections and Archives: Researchers from outside NPS should contact each park curator to request access to NPS collections and archives for all disciplines. Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the park’s website as a starting point.

A fall campground with picnic tables and colorful trees.

NPS Photo

Reservation Information

Reservations can be made for certain sites around the park that include campsites and group picnic areas. River and group camping reservations must be made on


Milford Beach Group Picnic Area

  • Nine picnic tables in open area with some trees
  • No potable water at this location
  • For reservations and more information call (570) 426-2440

Dingmans Campground

  • 133 wooded and river's edge campsites; some electric and water hookups
  • Group campsites available for 20 to 40 people
  • Visit the Dingmans Campground website for current rates and to learn more
  • For reservations and more information call (877) 828-1551 or (570) 828-1551
  • Reservations are not required, but highly recommended during peak times (Memorial Day Weekend to Columbus Day Weekend)

Valley View Group Campground

  • 5 primitive campsites with fire rings 4 vault toilets.
  • Reservations are required and can be made on
  • Each site can host 5 to 25 people, with 5 people being the minimum to reserve a site.

Alosa River Campsites

Reservations - New Jersey

Rivers Bend Group Campground

  • 5 Primative group sites for 15 campers each with fire pits and picnic tables.
  • Reservations are required and can be made through

Mohican Outdoor Center

  • Large/small group cabins and individual/group campsites in a wooded setting
  • Adjacent to the Appalachian National Scenic Trail
  • Drinking water available
  • Visit the Mohican Outdoor Center website for current rates and reservations
  • For more information call (603) 466-2727

Last updated: January 26, 2024

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
P.O. Box 2

Bushkill, PA 18324


570 426-2452

Contact Us