Providing Visitor Services Through CUAs

A commercial use authorization (CUA) allows you to conduct commercial activities and provide specific visitor services within a national park unit. The National Park Service (NPS) issues CUAs to manage a wide-range of commercial visitor services. Depending on the park, a CUA can allow: 

  • guided mountaineering or backpacking;
  • bike tours;
  • kayak trips;
  • photography workshops;
  • scuba diving classes;
  • fishing trips; etc.

A CUA is required if you provide any goods, activities, services, agreements, or other function for park visitors that:

  • take place at least in part on lands managed by the NPS,
  • use park resources, and
  • result in compensation, monetary gain, benefit, or profit to you.

The links below include information to get you started if you want to apply for a CUA and tools to help current CUA holders.

A solo rock climber wearing an orange helmet using ropes to descend the side of a mountain.

Applying for a CUA

Explore the CUA application process and find information about available CUA opportunities

A guided pedicab tour in front of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC

CUA Fees

Understand why the NPS requires fees for CUAs

Horseback riders in a meadow on a guided tour in Grand Teton National Park.

CUA Insurance

Learn about the types of insurance and coverage amounts required for CUAs

Two people on a guided bear viewing trip in Katmai National Park

Required Reports

Find out about the required reports all CUA holders must submit

A fishing guide holding a brown trout

CUA Law and Policy

Know which laws and NPS policies apply to the CUA program

A tour bus in a parking lot

Road-based Commercial Tour CUAs

Understand CUA requirements and fees for road-based commercial tours

A food truck parked on the side of the road

CUA News

Get CUA program updates and find available CUA opportunities

Last updated: May 26, 2020