• Giant Sequoia Trees

    Sequoia & Kings Canyon

    National Parks California

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Institute Stage 2 Fire Restrictions

    Effective July 28, 2014, the parks are in Stage 2 fire restrictions. See link below for more information. These restrictions will remain in place until further notice. More »

  • Road Construction Delays on Park Roads for 2014 Season

    Expect occasional 15-min. to 1-hour delays in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks beginning Monday, June 2, weekdays only, between 5:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., including delays to/from the General Sherman Tree, Crystal Cave, and Grant Grove. More »

  • Vehicle Length Limits in Sequoia National Park (if Entering/Exiting Hwy 198)

    Planning to see the "Big Trees" in Sequoia National Park? If you enter/exit via Hwy. 198, please pay close attention to vehicle length advisories for your safety and the safety of others. More »

  • You May Have Trouble Calling Us

    We are experiencing technical problems receiving incoming phone calls. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please send us an email to SEKI_Interpretation@nps.gov or check the "More" link for trip-planning information. More »

Scientific Research & Collection Permits

Please read important park alerts by clicking the red tab above before you come to the parks.

Prior approval in the form of a permit is required to conduct scientific research or collecting in Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks and Devils Postpile National Monument. This approval must be obtained annually.

Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks and Devils Postpile National Monument have a long history of supporting scientific research, and that research has been important both to park management and to the general body of scientific knowledge. The parks would like to continue that tradition and provide the information below to help researchers navigate the permitting process. The research permit process is outlined below and described in detail in the attached documents.

SEKI Research Permit Cycle

Permit Program Coordinator Contact:
Koren R. Nydick, PhD
Science Coordinator/Ecologist
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Phone: 559-565-4292
FAX: 559-565-4207

Applying for a Permit

Wilderness Minimum Requirements Analysis (MRA)

Park-specific conditions: Each permit may have specific conditions attached to it. However, all permits have the following park-specific conditions:

Avoidance of White Nose Syndrome: requirements for cave researchers

If you encounter marijuana grow site

Accommodations for Researchers

If you encounter difficulty opening any of the linked documents contact the Permit Program Coordinator (above).

Did You Know?

The Four Guardsmen (four sequoias), with the Generals Highway running between them.

Sometimes you will see sequoias in a straight row. This may happen because sequoia seeds prefer mineral-rich burned ground. When a fallen log burns long and hot, it leaves a strip of bare mineral-rich soil — an ideal place for new sequoias to grow. Years later, we see a line of sequoias!