Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
What We Do:
- Provide oversight for the humane care and use of wild, vertebrate animals in research, teaching, and training in parks.
- Assists parks and researchers in achieving compliance with the Animal Welfare Act (AWA) and Inter-agency Research Animal Committee (IRAC) principles.
- Provides guidance to promote animal welfare, human and animal safety. and scientific integrity in activities occurring in NPS units.
How We Do This:
- Review projects involving vertebrate animals to be used in research, teaching, and training within NPS units
- Consult with park representatives and researchers about proposed animal activities and advise on regulatory requirements and current standards of care for wildlife research animals, emphasizing the 3 R's: refinement, reduction, and replacement
- Visit locations where vertebrate animal activities are conducted for post-approval monitoring (PAM)
- Report to appropriate authorities on the use of animals in research within NPS units
- Advise, consult, and collaborate with other agencies on animal welfare oversight in wildlife research
How We Can Help:If you are a park representative...
- Please use our intranet site for assistance or call (970) 267-7237
- Please complete the General Submission form (below) if NPS IACUC will be the sole IACUC for review of your project. Please email the completed form to: email@example.com
** If your project has already received review and approval by an IACUC other than the NPS IACUC, you need only to attach 3 documents to an email and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. The three documents are: 1) A copy of your approving IACUC's official approval notice, 2) A copy of your complete Study Plan; i.e. what your approving IACUC approved, and 3) the NPS IACUC Concurrence Form, which can be found below. More information may be requested, if needed, once we review these documents.If you have an approved project with the NPS IACUC but need to make changes...
- Please complete the Amendment form (below) and email the completed form to: email@example.com
FormsLarger documents may take several minutes to open. Thank you for your patience.
- General Submission Form (PDF 7,741 KB)
- Amendment Form (PDF 1,125 KB)
- Annual Review Study Form (PDF 1,164 KB)
- BioBlitz Field Study Form (PDF 5,529 KB)
- *For any project involving the capture and/or handling of animals the NPS IACUC requests that there be a plan in place for humane euthanasia of animals should it be needed. You can add the details regarding the method and qualified personnel in the field entitled "Are any additional procedures to be done as part of this demonstration?" on page 2.
- Concurrence Form (PDF 2,065 KB)
For questions about projects involving wild, vertebrate animals and the need for NPS IACUC review or for any questions about animal welfare oversight by the NPS IACUC, please contact us at:
NOTE: NPS units issue permits for conducting scientific projects within their respective boundaries through the Research Permit and Reporting System (RPRS). NPS IACUC approval DOES NOT replace Park specific permit requirements. Please contact your NPS park representative for specific requirements and procedures.
NPS IACUC Contact:Dr. Tracy Thompson
Committee Chair and Attending Veterinarian
IACUC Training and Resources
Animal Welfare Act, Regulations, Standards
US Government Principles
AVMA Guidelines for Euthanasia of Animals: 2013 Edition (1,336 KB)
AWIC IACUC Resources
American Society of Mammalogists Taxon Guidelines
Guidelines for the Use of Fishes in Research
Ornithological Council Guidelines for Use of Wild Birds in Research
Use of Live Reptiles and Amphibians in Research
NPS IACUC Bat SOP for the Study of Bats in the Field (180 KB)
NPS IACUC SOP (156 KB)
Last updated: September 19, 2017