Take yourself back in time with a stay in one of the seven public use cabins that are available on a first come, first served basis in Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve. Split some wood and head inside to light a blaze in the wood stove, under the light of an oil lamp. Enjoy the warmth as your gear dries out from a long journey down the mighty Yukon River, whether it be on a recreational float or hunting trip.
Please replace the firewood, but keep the memories.
GPS units should be set to NAD83 datum.
Refer to cabin policies for information on regulations.
Nation Bluff Cabin
Distance from Eagle: 49 mi
How to find it: Downstream from the mouth of the Nation River at the base of Nation Bluff. Trail to cabin starts at riverbank.
Sleeps: 1 comfortably or a couple if sharing the bed, 3 max
History: The cabin was built in 1934 by Christopher 'Phonograph' Nelson to support his trapping activities. The National Park Service restored the cabin in 1995 and protected it from wildfires in 1999.
Glenn Creek Cabin
Distance from Eagle: 62 mi
How to find it: One-quarter mile down river from the mouth of Glenn Creek on the west bank of the Yukon River.
Sleeps: 3 comfortably, 6 max
History: The cabin was built by Dr. LeFevere of Fairbanks in the 1950's as a hunting cabin.
Kandik River Cabin
Distance from Eagle: 100 mi
How to find it: Downriver from the mouth of Coal Creek on the south bank of the Yukon
Sleeps: 12 comfortably, 30 max
History: The cabin was built in 1932 by Frank Slaven, Sandy Johnson, Alfred Johnson, Arthur Reynolds, and Ed Brown. This historic roadhouse was restored in 1993 and is now used as a public use facility, volunteer residence, and 'dog drop' along the Yukon Quest International Sled Dog Race route.
Slaven's Public Use Cabin
Distance from Eagle: 100 mi
How to find it: 100 yards from Slaven's Roadhouse along the upper trail to Coal Creek Camp
Sleeps: 4 comfortably, 8 max
History: The National Park Service built the cabin in 1993 for public use.
Coal Creek Camp
Distance from Eagle: 100 mi by river, 4 mi by two-track trail from Slaven's Roadhouse
How to find it: Hike a four mile trail to Coal Creek Camp from Slaven's Roadhouse or fly into the Coal Creek airstrip
Sleeps: 2 comfortably, 4 max
History: This historic mining camp was built in the early 1930s to support gold dredging operations. The National Park Service completed restoration of the camp in 1999, and it is now used as a summer operations base. There is one designated public use cabin available year round, located on the hillside above the camp.
Smith Public Use Cabin
The Superintendent is continuing a closure issued on July 25, 2023, as it has been found to be unsafe for public occupancy as a result of structural damage caused by the 2023 Yukon River Break-Up/Flood.
Last updated: November 1, 2023