|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Special Events on September 3 to Commemorate Landmark Acts
Yosemite National Park will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act and the 30th Anniversary of the California Wilderness Act on Wednesday, September 3, 2014. Special events will take place throughout the day in Yosemite Valley and are designed to honor and celebrate the signing of these two acts, engage the public to better understand and appreciate wilderness, bring wilderness conservation organizations together, and connect with today’s youth and non-wilderness users.
The Wilderness Act was signed on September 3, 1964 by President Lyndon B. Johnson. This historic bill established the National Wilderness Preservation System and set aside 9.1 million acres of federal land for the benefit of the American people. The California Wilderness Act was signed on September 28, 1984 and authorized the addition of over 3 million acres of land within the State of California including Yosemite Wilderness to the National Wilderness Preservation System.
The schedule of events in Yosemite National Park includes:
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
- 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.: Wilderness Walk; Enjoy some of Yosemite’s most iconic Wilderness views on this Ranger lead walk exploring the idea and values of Wilderness. Meet in front of the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center for an easy walk.
- 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.: Wilderness Junior Ranger Walk; Meet at the Happy Isles Nature Center near shuttle stop #16.
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Yosemite’s First Guardian: Galen Clark (performed by Pete Devine with Yosemite Conservancy) shares his experience about seeking protection for Yosemite. Meet in front of the Valley Visitor Center to take a stroll with a Yosemite legend.
- 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Wilderness 50th Anniversary Celebration; Join Wilderness enthusiasts from throughout the Sierra in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. Participate in a variety of activities as you explore this street fair style event and learn about the values of wild places. Event will occur at the Yosemite Village Mall in front to the Valley Visitor Center.
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.: Wilderness Encounters; Drop in at the campfire circle in front of the Yosemite Museum to hear tales of Wilderness adventure and tradition from legendary storytellers.
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Wilderness Junior Ranger Walk; Meet at the Happy Isles Nature Center near shuttle stop #16.
- 4:00 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.: Wilderness Junior Ranger Talk; Meet in front of the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center.
- 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.: Yosemite Theater, Spirit of John Muir; Join John Muir as he shares his astonishing encounters with storms, wild animals and cantankerous humans in his beloved Yosemite. Enjoy his exciting, humorous and profound love of wildness! (Performed by Lee Stetson)