|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Tenaya is the largest lake in Yosemite’s front-country, and because of its remarkable scenic qualities and its proximity to Tioga Road, it is one of the most popular destinations for summer visitors in Yosemite. Problems associated with visitor use, visitor safety, and resource impacts have been occurring for decades.
Thanks to generous grants from The Yosemite Fund, a comprehensive analysis of, and solution to these issues is about to commence. The Tenaya Lake Area Plan will provide for a formal, public analysis of these long-standing issues and will provide a plan to remedy these issues. After the plan is complete, the park will continue with design development and implementation of the solutions identified in the plan.
Solutions for the Tenaya Lake plan may include ecological restoration, picnic area improvements, trailhead and parking improvements, comfort stations, and trails. In addition, an environmental assessment will be completed as part of this plan.
Currently, planning is underway for the Tuolumne Wild and Scenic River and the Tuolumne Meadows area. By working on the Tenaya Lake area plan concurrently with the Tuolumne Meadows plan, we can benefit from data that has already been acquired for Tuolumne Meadows.
Public scoping will remain open for 30 days, from September 4 to October 3, 2008, during which, comments with issues, ideas, and suggestions for the Tenaya Lake Area Plan may be submitted. The public will have a second formal comment period when the draft environmental assessment is ready for review.
Public participation is essential for the success of this and all other park projects.
Here are some ways to stay involved in the park:
- Attend a National Park Service public open house on Wednesday, September 24, from 1-5pm at Yosemite Valley Visitor Center Auditorium.
- Attend Public Field Visit on Saturday, September 20, at 10 am at the large parking area at the east end of Tenaya Lake.
- Add your name to the park’s planning mailing list and receive the Planning Update newsletter as well as other planning-related notices. You can also submit your email address to receive the park’s periodic electronic newsletter.
- Additionally, you can submit comments with your thoughts about this
- topic or any other projects in the park by any of the following means:
P.O. Box 577
Yosemite, CA 95389
209/379-1365; Fax: 209/379-1294
- Visit online:
www.nps.gov/yose/parkmgmt/planning.htm to find out about plans and projects or
www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/ to find out about science & nature in Yosemite National Park.