|Subscribe | What is RSS|
National Park Week April 20 - April 28
Earth Day April 22
Yosemite National Park will celebrate National Park Week and Earth Day beginning on Saturday, April 20, through Sunday, April 28, 2013. Special events and activities are being sponsored and organized by the National Park Service (NPS), DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, Inc. (the park's primary concessioner), Yosemite Conservancy, and the Ansel Adams Gallery.
Entrance fees will be waived for Yosemite National Park from Monday, April 22, through Friday, April 26, 2013 to celebrate National Park Week and Earth Day. Camping fees and all other fess will still be applicable.
This year, the focus of National Park Week is Did you know…, which provides a fun way to discover the wonders of America's national parks. The Did you know… focus inspires visitors to ask questions about national parks that encourage learning and activities within the parks. It also helps encourage the public to visit a nearby national park to camp, hike, watch wildlife, and enjoy being in nature.
This year's annual celebration will include events and activities throughout the whole week. Events and activities include:
Friday, April 19
- 2:00 p.m.: Earth Day Bike Ride
- 7:00 p.m.: Earth Day Family Night
Saturday, April 20 (National Junior Ranger Day and Earth Day Celebrations)
- 9:00 a.m.: Ansel Adams Photography Walk
- 9:00 a.m.: Stewardship Project
- 10:00 a.m.: Climbing Trails Restoration Project
- 10:30 a.m.: Earth Friendly Product Fair
- 10:30 a.m.: Earth Day & Junior Ranger Day Village Celebration
- 10:30 a.m.: Earth-Lovin' Lil' Ones
- 11:30 a.m.: Sustainable Salad Bar Tasting
- 12:00 p.m.: Universal Waste Collection
- 1:00 p.m.: Earth Day Cupcakes & Lemonade
- 1:00 p.m.: National Volunteer Day Trash Pick-up
- 1:00 p.m.: Photography Class
- 3:00 p.m.: Fine Print Tour
- 5:30 p.m.: Naturalist Stroll: Poetry and Parks
- 8:00 p.m.: The National Parks: America's Best Idea Showing
- 10:00 a.m.: Junior Ranger Walk.
- 11:00 a.m.: Children's Yoga
- 11:45 a.m.: Wee Wild Ones
- 12:30 p.m.: Live Earth Music for Kids
- 1:15 p.m.: Children's Storytelling
- 3:00 p.m.: Junior Ranger Walk
Sunday, April 21
- 7:00 p.m.: Chasing Ice Documentary Showing
Monday, April 22
- 8:00 p.m.: National Parks in the Sky
Tuesday, April 23
- The National Park Idea Started… Here
Wednesday, April 24
- 8:00 p.m.: This is America
Thursday, April 25
- 8:00 p.m.: What's Wild in Yosemite
Friday, April 26
- 8:00 p.m.: Primeval Ponderings: A Meander Through the Wilderness
Saturday, April 27
- 8:00 p.m.: Yosemite by Ear
Sunday, April 28
- 8:00 p.m.: Untold Stories from America's National Parks
For more information and a description of all events, please visit: www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/guide.htm and click on the current "Yosemite Guide" link, or call 209-372-0200.
About Yosemite National Park: Yosemite National Park is located in the Central Sierra Nevada in California. The park is home to many waterfalls, including Yosemite Falls, the tallest waterfall in North America. Other iconic features include Half Dome, El Capitan, and the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. The park receives approximately 4 million visitors and generates about $380 million dollars to the local economies. Yosemite National Park is open year-round. Please visit the park's website at www.nps.gov/yose and "like" us on Facebook!