How do I get to Weir Farm National Historic Site?
Please follow the Directions
in the Plan Your Visit section of the park's website.
What are your hours of operation?
- The grounds are open every day of the year, from dawn to dusk.
- The Burlingham House Visitor Center, Weir Studio, and Young Studio are open from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Wednesday to Sunday, May through October. Weir House Tours are offered at 11:00, 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00 Wednesday to Sunday. Please check our Operating Hours & Seasons in the Plan Your Visit section of the park's website for the most current information.
Where is most of the art?
- Weir Farm National Historic Site maintains its museum collection of over 200,000 objects at a nearby location.
- The collection includes an extensive archive of Weir family letters, including hundreds of letters to and from Julian Alden Weir, as well as diaries, notebooks, sketchbooks, historic photographs, scrapbook collections, and research archives about Julian Alden Weir's artwork.
- Also in the collection are objects from the house, barn, and studios, including furniture, books, art supplies, farming equipment, and gardening tools.
- Paintings, etchings, drawings, and sculpture are among the holdings of Weir Farm National Historic Site and the Weir Farm Art Center.
- However, much of Julian Alden Weir's and Mahonri Young's art is in private and public art collections. Weir's art can be found at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, The Phillips Collections, The Corcoran Gallery of Art, many other museums throughout the world. including The Museum of Art at Brigham Young University in Utah, which has an extensive collection of art by both Mahonri Young and Julian Alden Weir. Young's works can also be found in the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Works by Sperry Andrews are part of the permanent collections of the Wadsworth Atheneum, the National Academy of Design and the New Britain Museum of American Art.
- For a map of the institutions with works by Julian Alden Weir, click here.
Do you sell the America the Beautiful - Senior Pass or Annual Pass?
- No, we do NOT sell the America the Beautiful - Senior Pass.
- We do not sell the $80.00 America the Beautiful - Annual Pass.
- Senior Passes and Annual Passes can be purchased online at store.usgs.gov/pass.
- The park does adminster the America the Beautiful Access Pass, Military Pass, and Every Kid in a Park Pass during visitor center hours.
- For more information on this pass and the other passes used by the National Park Service, please click here.
Does Weir Farm National Historic Site have animals?
- Weir Farm NHS does not have farm animals.
- However, the park was once a fully operating farm, with oxen, chickens, vegetables, and numerous gardens. Much evidence of farm life, like the corn crib, chicken coop and gardens can still be seen at Weir Farm NHS.
- Until the late 19th Century, much of Connecticut was comprised of family farms, often named for the families that owned them. These farms were the vital bedrock of the Connecticut economy.
- Many important works of art by Julian Alden Weir, Mahonri Young, and Sperry Andrews, were inspired by their recollections of the working American farm.
What is the Weir Preserve?
- The Weir Preserve consists of 110 acres of walkways and trails that meander over fields, past stone walls, through rough woodlands and around bold rock outcrops.
- The preserve is located to the southwest of Weir Farm National Historic Site.
- In 2005, the Connecticut Chapter of The Nature Conservancy donated the Weir Preserve property to the Weir Farm Art Center which now maintains the property under the supervision of a volunteer stewardship committee.
- Many of the landscape features documented in Weir’s paintings remain unchanged today.
- The Weir Preserve is contiguous to Weir Farm National Historic Site and includes the originating gift of 37 acres made in 1967 by Weir’s daughter, Cora. Additional gifts from Wilton residents finally increased the total size to its current 110 acres.