|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Terry McDermott, 505-699-9994
Jemez Springs, NM- When the Valles Caldera National Preserve opens the summer season May 15, visitors will be greeted with expanded public access plus a more streamlined and cost-effective fee system. The new format, approved by the Valles Caldera Trust Board of Trustees last December, features an entrance fee of $20 per vehicle and $10 per person when entering on foot or bicycle. The entrance fee will be valid for seven days and cover all self-guided recreational activities including, hiking, fishing, mountain biking, and horseback riding. Trust-sponsored special events, guided hikes, van tours, and the use of the headquarters shuttle will also be free with entry.
- Family Fun &Games Campfire Program &Summer Twilight Hours: May 16;June 6, 20;July 4, 18;& August 1, 15. Join us for an evening of stories, games and activities, and explore the Valles Caldera a little longer with extended hours until 10 PM.
- Earth Skills Gathering: June 6. Discover primitive skills as regional experts demonstrate fire making, knapping, atl-atl throwing, and more.
- Geology Tours: June 13, July 5 & August 30. Learn about the early formation of New Mexico's supervolcano and when it might explode again!
- Kites in the Valle: June 20. Bring your kite and help us color the sky.
- Fly Fishing Clinics –Youth: June 20, July 18 & August 15 –Adult: June 21, July 19 & August 16. Learn the basics of fly fishing in the headwaters of the Jemez River.
- Preserve Days Celebration: July 24-26. Come celebrate the Preserve's 15th anniversary and listen to tall tales at the Storytelling Jamboree.
- Jemez Mountains Elk Festival: Sept. 26. Explore all things elk during this event celebrating New Mexico's second largest elk herd.
- Ranger-led Programs: Offered throughout the summer. Check our website for your favorite van tour or guided hike.