In and around one of the Atlantic Coast's largest urban areas, the Preserve offers glimpses of Old Florida in some unexpected places.
- Explore a fort exhibit that recalls the lives and deaths of 16th-century French colonists.
- Walk among live oaks and thickets of palmettos where pre-Columbian and Timucua Indians once lived.
- Climb a wildlife observation platform overlooking salt marsh habitat.
- Visit a plantation where enslaved men, women, and children of African descent labored and the plantation owner sought to make his fortune.
- Find tranquility in a day at the beach, ride a segway, or wind your way by kayak through the marshy expanse.