Want to explore this topic in person? The parks below offer a first-hand opportunity to discover more stories, people, and places.
Ready to go? The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass Series includes several passes that cover entrance fees at national parks.
- Acadia National Park
Discover the great fire of 1947.
- Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Learn about floods on the canal since 1829.
- Clara Barton National Historic Site
Founder of the disaster-relief organization, the Red Cross.
- Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park
Examining aviation accidents and the great Dayton flood of 1913.
- Fort Raleigh National Historic Site
The fate of the "Lost Colony" remains a mystery.
- Ice Age Floods National Geologic Trail
At the end of the last Ice Age, some 12,000 to 17,000 years ago, a series of cataclysmic floods occurred.
- Johnstown Flood National Memorial
The 1889 flood that killed over 2,200 souls.
- Kalaupapa National Historical Park
A human-caused disaster -- when Hansen's disease (leprosy) was introduced to the Hawaiian Islands, King Kamehameha V banished all afflicted to the isolated Kalaupapa peninsula.
- Minuteman Missile National Historic Site
Examine the possibilities of nuclear war.
- New River Gorge National River
Coal mine disasters that changed lives.
- Oklahoma City National Memorial
A memorial to April 19, 1995 explosion.
- Petersburg National Battlefield
- Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial
A tragic explosion.