Lake Superior, WI
Imagine that moment, being in that perfect spot as the sun rises, and everything comes into focus. A rocky shoreline suddenly reflects the world around you. Waiting for you among the water, land, forests, and history is that moment. How will the islands inspire you?
National Scenic Trail
A mere 15,000 years ago during the Ice Age, much of North America lay under a huge glacier. Mammoths, saber tooth cats and cave lions roamed the earth! Some of the best evidence of this glacier is found in Wisconsin such as the state’s many lakes, river valleys, gently rolling hills, and ridges. The nearly 1,200 mile Ice Age National Scenic Trail, established in 1980, traces the glacier's edge.
National Scenic Trail
Seven States-New York to North Dakota MI,MN,ND,NY,OH,PA,VT,WI
Come to the North Country. Trek the hills and valleys. Stand on the shores of lakes & streams from glaciers 10,000 years before. Clear-flowing water, red/gold of autumn, a fairyland of snow, open prairies, and distant horizons paint the land. Historic sites along the way tell how America settled and grew as a nation. From North Dakota to New York (and soon Vermont), adventure is never far away.
National Scenic Riverway
Saint Croix Falls, WI,MN
Grab your paddle and your longing for adventure and head to the St. Croix and Namekagon rivers! Together they form the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, offering over 200 miles of clean water that glides and rushes through a forested landscape. Paddle, boat, fish, and camp among this wild and scenic beauty. Hiking and historic towns also beckon, if you can bear to leave the cool water.
By The Numbers
- 2 National Parks
- 614,303 Visitors to National Parks
- $77,300,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $1,101,350,122 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) »
- $80,451,603 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- $38,920,303 in Historic Preservation Grants (since 1969) »
- 72 Certified Local Governments »
- 92 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 4,389 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) »
- 98,874 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 2 Wild & Scenic Rivers Managed by NPS »
- 2 National Trails Managed by NPS »
- 2,449 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 43 National Historic Landmarks »
- 18 National Natural Landmarks »
- 789 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 826,918 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 276 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 8 Threatened & Endangered Species in National Parks »
- 1 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plan »
- 4 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2018.