National Scenic Trail
Maine to Georgia, CT,GA,MA,MD,ME,NC,NH,NJ,NY,PA,TN,VA,VT,WV
The Appalachian Trail is a 2,180+ mile long public footpath that traverses the scenic, wooded, pastoral, wild, and culturally resonant lands of the Appalachian Mountains. Conceived in 1921, built by private citizens, and completed in 1937, today the trail is managed by the National Park Service, US Forest Service, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, numerous state agencies and thousands of volunteers.
National Historical Park
Experience wintry conditions and bracing temperatures along both groomed cross-country ski trails and natural snowshoe trails in the folded hilly landscape of the park. Reflect on the story of stewardship, of people taking care of places – sharing an enduring connection to the land - as you observe the tall trees, wildlife and experience the peacefulness of the woods.
National Scenic Trail
Seven States-New York to North Dakota MI,MN,ND,NY,OH,PA,VT,WI
Come to the North Country. Trek the hills and valleys. Stand on the shores of lakes & streams from glaciers 10,000 years before. Clear-flowing water, red/gold of autumn, a fairyland of snow, open prairies, and distant horizons paint the land. Historic sites along the way tell how America settled and grew as a nation. From North Dakota to Vermont, adventure is never far away.
By The Numbers
- 2 National Parks
- 45,979 Visitors to National Parks
- $3,400,000 Economic Benefit from National Park Tourism »
- $318,082,737 of Rehabilitation Projects Stimulated by Tax Incentives (since 1995) »
- $37,906,496 of Land & Water Conservation Fund Appropriated for Projects (since 1965) »
- 16 Certified Local Governments »
- 79 Community Conservation & Recreation Projects (since 1987) »
- 195 Acres Transferred by Federal Lands to Parks for Local Parks and Recreation (since 1948) »
- 1,565 Hours Donated by Volunteers »
- 1 National Heritage Area »
- 1 Wild & Scenic Rivers Managed by NPS »
- 2 National Trails Administered by NPS »
- 859 National Register of Historic Places Listings »
- 18 National Historic Landmarks »
- 12 National Natural Landmarks »
- 156 Places Recorded by Heritage Documentation Programs »
- 117,032 Objects in National Park Museum Collections »
- 20 Archeological Sites in National Parks »
- 1 Teaching with Historic Places Lesson Plan »
- 5 Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itineraries »
- Print the summary »
These numbers are just a sample of the National Park Service's work. Figures are for the fiscal year that ended 9/30/2019.