Backcountry Camping permits are required for visitors who want to camp in Shenandoah's backcountry areas rather than in developed campgrounds. These permits are available free from park headquarters, visitor centers, and entrance stations.
Research Permits are required when conducting research, collecting specimens, or doing a scientific experiment in the park. To find out how to apply for a research permit, visit the National Park Service Research and Reporting System (RPRS) or contact us.
Special Use Permits are required for special events such as weddings, commercial services and guiding, commerical filming, hang gliding, car cruises, group bicycle rides, gatherings, and distribution of printed material and other public expressions of views. With the exception of First Amendment permits, Special Use Permits may take up to six weeks (or more) to process. For information, please contact the park permits office at 540-999-3500 ext. 3374 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weddings or ceremonies may be coordinated by the authorized concessions operator, Delaware North at Shenandoah National Park (contact the Delaware North group sales office at 866-383-2922). For all other weddings or ceremonies in the park contact the permits office prior to completing any applications.
- Commercial Filming Permits must be obtained when filming is done by other than bona fide newsreel or news television. To download the policy for filming, click here. To download the application for film and still photography, click here.
- Commercial Photography Permits are required if photography is to be done of vehicles, or other articles of commerce, or models for the purpose of commercial advertising. To download the application for film and still photography, click here.
- Commerical Use Authorization Permits are required for engaging in any business. To download the Commercial Use Authorization application, click here.
- Hang Gliding and Paragliding requires a permit. Pilots may only use approved launch sites. For regulations, certification requirements, or other information, contact the permits office. To download the Hang Gliding and Paragliding application, click here.