Permits & Reservations

Jump to:

Backcountry Camping permits are required for visitors who want to camp in Shenandoah's backcountry areas rather than in developed campgrounds. These permits are available free from park headquarters, visitor centers, and entrance stations.

Research Permits are required when conducting research, collecting specimens, or doing a scientific experiment in the park. To find out how to apply for a research permit, visit the National Park Service Research and Reporting System (RPRS) or contact us.

Special Use Permits
Special Use Permits are required for events such as weddings, commercial services and guiding, commerical filming, hang gliding, car cruises, group bicycle rides, gatherings, and distribution of printed material and other public expressions of views. With the exception of First Amendment permits, Special Use Permits may take up to six weeks (or more) to process. For information, please contact the park permits office at 540-999-3500 ext. 3374 or email: e-mail us
This list is not complete. If you have any uncertainty about a planned activity it is best to contact the permits office at 540-999-3500 x3374. Completed applications may be emailed to or mailed to Andrew Gertge, Shenandoah National Park, 3655 US HWY 211 East, Luray, VA 22835. Processing will not begin until payment, if required, is received.

Last updated: April 20, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Shenandoah National Park
3655 U.S. Highway 211 East

Luray, VA 22835


(540) 999-3500

Contact Us