Then And Now

From season to season and year to year, change is always a constant at Shenandoah National Park. In 2016, to celebrate the centennial of the National Park Service, Shenandoah National Park asked photographers to investigate the forces of change in the Park and reshoot a series of historical photographs. The result is a stunning glimpse into how the Park has changed and how it has remained the same since its establishment.

On your next visit, take a good look around. The trees that dominate the forest, the paths on which streams travel, and the slopes of the mountains are rarely static. Trails, buildings, roads, and even rock walls change in response to nature and to the evolving needs and expectations of our visitors.

Thank you to all the photographers who volunteered to participate in this project! Collected below are just a selection of the photographs submitted. View the full gallery of photographs here.

Big Meadows Lodge
A black and white photograph of a lodge with a driveway. A color photograph of a lodge with a driveway.
Photo taken August 7, 1939 by Harvey Benson
Photo taken October 15, 2016 by Andrew Sentipal
Near mile 51 on Skyline Drive, the Big Meadows Lodge is a historical lodge that currently offers lodging, dining, and gifts. 



Corbin Cabin
A black and white photograph of a log cabin in the woods. A color photograph of a log cabin in the woods.
Taken 1973 by Richard Sellers
Taken September 17, 2016 by John Denson

Located in Nicholson Hollow, George T. Corbin constructed this cabin in 1910. Corbin Cabin was renovated in 1954 by the Potmac Appalachian Trail Club, and is still maintained by the PATC today. It is the only structure in the park which remains an intact example of a historical mountain cabin.




Dark Hollow Falls
A black and white photograph of a tall waterfall in a forest. A color photograph of a tall waterfall in a forest.
Taken fall 1961 by E. Ray Schaffner
Taken December 4, 2016 by Theresa Sullivan
Dark Hollow Falls is one of the most popular trails in Shenandoah National Park. The 1.4 mile route to the falls and back has some steep sections, but the reward at the end is a series of beautiful waterfalls and cascades.



Dickey Ridge Visitor Center
A black and white photograph of a rustic building. A color photograph of a rustic building.
Taken 1941 by Harvey Benson
Taken June 8, 2016 by Marcia Cunningham
Today's Dickey Ridge Visitor Center at mile 4.6 of Skyline Drive is home to the former Dickey Ridge Tavern. 



Elkwallow Picnic Ground
A black and white photograph of a parking lot with cars in it. A color photograph of a parking lot with cars in it.
Taken July 16, 1937 by George C. Knox
Taken December 23, 2016 by Gabriel Mapel
Near mile 24, the historical photograph shows a typical Sunday crowd in the early days of Elkwallow Picnic Ground. Today, it is a peaceful, quieter picnic ground to enjoy a relaxing lunch.



Hazel Mountain Overlook
Hazel Mountain Overlook Hazel Mountain Overlook
Photo taken July 4, 1950 by A. Fawcett
Photo taken September 12, 2016 by Jen Johnson
This is a scene from Hazel Mountain Overlook, around mile 33 on Skyline Drive. This overlook features spectacular views to the northeast and is a favorite for catching a sunrise. The boulders attract many a visitor and provides perfect seats to relax and take in the scene.



Hazel Mountain Overlook
A black and white photograph of an overlook with mountain sin the distance. A color photograph of an overlook with mountain sin the distance.
Taken between 1934-1947 by Robert Batey Moore
Taken June, 18, 2016 by Monte Hackney
Here is a birds-eye view of the popular Hazel Mountain Overlook.The boulders provide a wonderful spot to climb up and look out to the east and take in Virginia's countryside.



Hogback Overlook
A black and white photograph of an overlook with a vehicle and valley in the distance. A color photograph of an overlook with a vehicle and valley in the distance.
Taken between 1937-1943 by W. Drew Chick
Taken November 29, 2016 by David Rensch
Near mile 21 on Skyline Drive, Hogback Overlook has wiade, expansive views of the Shenandoah Valley. Pull over, roll the windows down, and take in the scenery. 



Loft Mountain Campground
A black and white photograph of a road through a campground. A color photograph of a road through a campground.
Taken May 30, 1964 by E. Ray Schaffner
Taken July 21, 2016 by Caroline Murray
Loft Mountain Campground is the largest campground in the Park, and has provided people a place to sleep under the stars for generations.



Marys Rock Tunnel
A black and white photograph of a car coming through a tunnel. A color photograph of a car coming through a tunnel.
Taken October 1937 by George C. Knox
Taken 2016 by Wanda Mounts
Marys Rock Tunnel was an engineering challenge to construct, made no easier by the number of natural springs that seeps between the rocks along the mountainside. The tunnel was completed in 1932, and remains an iconic symbol of Skyline Drive today.



Marys Rock Trail
A black and white photograph of a person standing on a trail along a mountainside. A color photograph of a person standing on a trail along a mountainside.
Taken August 15, 1934 by George C. Knox
Taken October 4, 2016 by Cynthia Fenton
Many of the trails in Shenandoah National Park were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps. After years of weather and use, these trails still lead us to amazing places in the park, and are well loved by the people who travel across them.



Massanutten Lodge
A black and white photograph of a rustic two-story cabin. A color photograph of a rustic two-story cabin.
Taken September 12, 1951 by Paul G. Favour
Taken July 5, 2016 by Cindy Schifano
This historical building was the home of Addie Nairn Pollock, co-owner of Skyland Resort and wife of George Freeman Pollock. Originally built in 1911, today Massanutten Lodge contains a historically refurnished room and exhibit about women at Skyland.



Millers Head
A black and white photograph of a girl looking over a distant valley. A color photograph of a girl looking over a distant valley.
Taken October 1941 by Robert Batey Moore
taken November 27, 2016 by Jason Cave
Located in the Skyland area, Millers Head is a trail near the amphitheater that leads to a viewing platform looking over the Shenandoah Valley toward Massaunutten Mountain. The Millers Head Trail is 1.6 miles round trip. 



Old Rag Mountain
A black and white photograph of a mountainside. A color photograph of a mountainside.
Taken May 22, 1934 by George C. Knox
Taken September 12, 2016 by Paul Dracos
Old Rag Mountain is one of the most popular and strunuous hikes in Shenandoah National Park. The 9.2 mile route up to the peak and back includes a challenging rock scramble ending in sweeping views of Shenandoah National Park and the Virginia countryside below.



Pinnacles Picnic Shelter
A black and white photograph of a picnic shelter. A color photograph of a picnic shelter.
Taken circa 1941 by Robert Batey Moore
Taken November 29, 2016 by Andrew Politano
Pinnacles Picnic Ground is located near mile 36 of Skyline Drive. The Civilian Conservation Corps built this shelter for the newly established Shenandoah National Park. Today, the shelter is available to use and enjoy on a first-come, first-served basis.



President's Cabin
A black and white photograph of a cabin in the woods. A color photograph of a cabin in the woods.
Taken Spring 1974 by Dale Smith
Taken October 15, 2016 by Cecelia Carr
The President's Cabin, also called the Brown House, was the location of Herbert and Lou Henry Hoover's personal quarters at Rapidan Camp, the President's rustic retreat. Today, Rapidan Camp is accessible on a select number of Ranger-led tours, or via a hike from Skyline Drive.  



Range View Overlook
A black and white photograph of an overlook with mountains in the distance. A color photograph of an overlook with mountains in the distance.
Taken July 1947 by Robert Batey Moore
Taken 2016 by Stacy Smith Evans
Range View Overlook is located near mile 17 of Skyline Drive. Looking south, from this overlook you are peering into the center of Shenandoah National Park. 



Simmons Gap
A black and white photograph of a stone building in the woods. A color photograph of a stone building in the woods.
Taken April 29, 1935 by George C. Knox
Taken 2016 by Alec Lottinville
This building was a part of the first mission that the Episcopal Church founded. Reverend Frederick W. Neve started the mission in 1900 and built this church in 1925 as a Recreation Hall (Community or Parish House). The building was converted to a Park Ranger station and residence in 1942 and became an office in the 1990s. 



South River Picnic Ground
A black and white photograph of a road with a fork in it and bare ground all around. A color photograph of a road with a fork in it and trees all around.
Taken June 1935 by George C. Knox
Taken June 7, 2016 by Marcia Cunningham
During the early days of Shenandoah National Park, cleared, open pastures, meadows, and farmland covered the mountains. Today the forest has grown up and there are few open space left. These images show how quickly the forest can grow.



Tunnel Parking Overlook
A black and white photograph from above looking down at a long overlook with lots of vehicles. A color photograph from above looking down at a long overlook with a few vehicles.
Taken October 1935 by George C. Knox
Taken 2016 by Jimmy Jin
Marys Rock Tunnel has been an iconic landmark in Shenandoah National Park ever since its construction. The historical photograph shows the Sunday crowd gathering to take in the view. Today, the overlook rarely gets as crowed as that Sunday in 1935, but it is a notable stop for many who travel through.



View the complete set of photographs and dive deeper into Shenandoah's past...

Last updated: October 15, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

Shenandoah National Park
3655 U.S. Highway 211 East

Luray, VA 22835

Phone:

(540) 999-3500

Contact Us