Places

 
The Old Stone House

Old Stone House
3051 M Street NW
Washington, DC

The Old Stone House is the oldest house on its original foundation in the District of Columbia. The structure was used as both business and residence for over 200 years. Its existence is due to a case of mistaken identity--the building was mistaken for a tavern frequented by George Washington.

 
Peirce Mill

Peirce Mill
2401 Tilden Drive NW (near Tilden Drive & Beach Drive)
Washington, DC

Peirce Mill was built in the 1820s and operated commercially until 1897. The United States Government acquired the mill as part of Rock Creek Park in 1892. Generally, the mill is open year-round. Hours and programs / activities vary by season. Tours offered year-round. Peirce Mill is on the National Register of Historic Places.

 
Meridian Hill Cascade

Meridian Hill Park
16th St. & W St. NW
Washington, DC
Note: Park is bordered by 16th, Euclid, 15th, and W streets NW

The park, located approximately 1.5 miles from the White House, offers stunning views of the capital city. Meridian Hill Park was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1994, as "an outstanding accomplishment of early 20th-century Neoclassicist park design in the United States." Construction of the park began in 1914. In 1933, the grounds were transferred to the National Park Service.

 
Dumbarton Oaks Park stonr bridge
Dumbarton Oaks Park stone bridge

NPS Photo

Dumbarton Oaks Park
R Street & Lovers Lane NW
Washington, DC

The park is a striking example of one of the most important designs by Landscape Architect Beatrix Farrand, considered the foremost woman landscape architect of her generation. Owners of the Dumbarton Oaks estate, Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss, hired Farrand to create an illusion of country life within the city. Working closely with Mildred Bliss, Farrand made the vision a reality. She created a formal garden next to the mansion, which is called Dumbarton Oaks (owned by Harvard University) and this naturalistic landscaped garden below (owned by the National Park Service).

 
Montrose Park
Montrose Park

NPS

Montrose Park
32nd Street & R Street NW
Washington, DC

Montrose Park occupies land that belonged to rope-making magnate Robert Parrott during the early 19th century. Parrott generously allowed Georgetown residents to use his tract of land for picnics and meetings. The area became known as Parrott's Woods and by the early 20th century it had fallen into disrepair. Sarah Louise Rittenhouse spearheaded a group of women who petitioned Congress to buy the acreage and establish Montrose Park "for the recreation and pleasure of the people."

 
Georgetown Waterfront Park
Georgetown Waterfront Park

Georgetown Waterfront Park
Wisconsin St. & Water Street / K Street NW
Washington, DC

Georgetown Waterfront Park provides a green space for visitor recreation and contemplation. Visitors to this park can see views of wildlife, boaters, kayakers, competitive crews, Theodore Roosevelt Island, and Key Bridge. Extending 10 acres along the Potomac River from Washington Harbour to Key Bridge, this site creates the last vital link in 225 miles of continuous parkland from Mt. Vernon, Virginia, to Cumberland, Maryland.

Last updated: December 20, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

5200 Glover Rd, NW
Washington, DC 20015

Phone:

(202) 895-6000
Rock Creek Park's main phone line.

Contact Us

Tools