- Washington, D.C.
- Designed Landscape
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
In 1804, rope-maker Richard Parrott purchased his Washington, D.C. property and developed his estate. Before long, he added a "Ropewalk" for manufacturing rope, a Federal-style mansion, and gardens and orchards.
Some of the defining features of Montrose Park originated during the period when the property was a prominent estate, between 1804 and 1911: the Ropewalk, Summerhouse, Boxwood Gardens, and several mature canopy trees along the edge of the plateau.
The property was purchased by the United States Government in 1911 for the creation of a public park, and the Office of Public Buildings and Grounds (OPBG) assumed the responsibility for transforming the property. Together, OPBG landscape architects George Burnap and Horace Peaslee prepared designs for the park that integrated features from the former estate’s landscape and incorporated new elements for public park use.
Today, Montrose Park is a sixteen-acre park located on the heights overlooking Georgetown in northwest Washington, D.C. It is bordered on the south by R Street and a residential area; on the west by the richly designed landscape of Dumbarton Oaks Gardens (masterpiece of Landscape Architect, Beatrix Farrand); on the north by a forested tributary property for Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway; and on the east by the rolling, rural landscape of Oak Hill Cemetery.