What is a CUA?
A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a business permit with the National Park Service that authorizes an individual, group, company, or other for-profit entity to conduct commercial activities and provide specific visitor services within a national park area. The National Park Service will only issue CUAs for commercial activities and visitor services that:
- are determined to be an appropriate use of Point Reyes National Seashore;
- will have minimal impact on Point Reyes National Seashore’s resources and values; and
- are consistent with Point Reyes National Seashore's purpose, management plans, policies, and regulations.
A CUA is required if you, as an individual, organization, or company, provide any goods, activities, services, agreements, or other function for members, clients, or the public that:
- take place at least in part in Point Reyes National Seashore,
- use park resources, and
- result in compensation, monetary gain, benefit, or profit.
Businesses and individuals may not conduct commercial activities in the park without a valid CUA or in a manner inconsistent with the terms of the CUA.
Do road-based commercial tour companies need a CUA?
Yes. Road-based commercial tour companies, like all other commercial operators in Point Reyes National Seashore, must apply for a CUA and pay all associated costs.
How do I apply for a CUA?
Download and complete the appropriate CUA Application listed below.
- Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) Application: General (681 KB MS Word .docx)
- Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) Application: Guided Kayak tours with camping on Tomales Bay and/or Kayak outfitting (681 KB MS Word .docx)
- Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) Application: Transportation of visitors by motor vehicle (679 KB MS Word .docx)
Submit the signed application and any additionally required documentation via postal mail or email to Point Reyes National Seashore. See contact information below. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
The non-refundable application fee can be submitted by visiting pay.gov. Contact the park's Special Park Uses/Concessions office for the required permit number. See contact information below.
What are the reporting requirements?
CUA holders must submit an annual report each year. Download the appropriate report from below and as an exhibit to each CUA document. This report provides the park with visitation statistics, reportable injury data, and a record of annual gross receipts.
- Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) Annual Report (651 KB MS Word .docx)
- Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) Annual Report: Guided Kayak tours with camping on Tomales Bay and/or Kayak outfitting (652 KB MS Word .docx)
- Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) Annual Report: Transportation of visitors by motor vehicle (650 KB MS Word .docx)
You must return this report via postal mail or email by the due date each year. Failure to return required reports or misrepresentation of statistics or earnings will result in denial of your next CUA application.
CUA Office contact information
Special Park Uses/Concessions Office
Point Reyes National Seashore
1 Bear Valley Road
Point Reyes Station, CA 94956