Special Use Permits

What is a Special Event?

Special events are activities such as weddings, memorial services, pageants, spectator attractions, entertainment, ceremonies, automobile/motorcycle club rallies, organized tours or rides, large group camps or rendezvous, which fall under the category of privileges. Special events differ from public assemblies and public meetings in that the latter activities are rights protected by the First Amendment. If the activity is an expression of First Amendment rights, and the group size is less than 25 people, a permit is not required.

Who Needs a Permit?

The authority for the management of special events in a national park site can be found in Title 54, U.S. Code and Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, 2.50.

2006 National Park Service Management Policies and Director's Order 53 Special Park Uses provide policy guidance for management of special event activities.

The following guidelines are established by the 2006 National Park Service Management Policies as they relate to special event activities within this unit of the National Park Service.

A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and that:
  • Provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization rather than the public at large;
  • Requires written authorization and some degree of management control from the NPS in order to protect park resources and the public interest;
  • Is not prohibited by law or regulation;
  • Is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the NPS;
  • Is not managed under a concession contract.
Special use permits for special events will not be issued, if in the opinion of the Superintendent, the special event will:
  • Cause injury or damage to park resources.
  • Be contrary to the purposes for which the park was established, or unreasonably impair the atmosphere of peace and tranquility maintained in wilderness, natural or cultural locations within the park.
  • Unreasonably interfere with the interpretive, visitor service, or other program activities, or with administrative activities.
  • Substantially impair the operation of public facilities or services of NPS concessionaire or contractors.
  • Present a clear and present danger to public health and safety.
  • Result in significant conflict with other existing uses.

Want to have your wedding at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore? There are additional considerations for weddings at the Lakeshore. Learn more here.

How Do I Apply for a Permit?

All applications will be handled in the order they are received. Standard requests are processed in 30 business days. Requests that involve multiple locations, complex logistics, and coordination with other NPS divisions or visitor activities may require a longer process time. Permits for projects that need additional environmental compliance will also take a longer time to process.

The application fee is $100. Additional fees for monitoring or other cost recovery may be charged if the permit is approved.

Application Forms

Form 10-930s Application for Special Use Permit - short form (weddings). Please read information on wedding permits here!

Form 10-930 Application for Special Use Permit - long form (all other events)

Complete the appropriate form above with payment information and submit by email to: piro_permits@nps.gov

For questions or additional information, email us.

Forms may also be mailed to:

Special Use Permit Office
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
PO Box 40
Munising, MI 49862

Payments must be made via Pay.gov. Click here to make a payment.

A photographer crouches on rocks and water.
Commercial Filming and Still Photography

Planning to commercially film or take commercial photos in the park? Visit this page.

Small light pink flowers with green foliage.
Weddings at Pictured Rocks

Want to have your wedding at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore? Be sure to read these regulations first!

Two hikers wearing large packs face away from the camera looking at a map.
Permits & Reservations

Permits for drive-in campgrounds, backcountry camping, commercial use authorizations, and more.

Last updated: May 11, 2023

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 40
Munising, MI 49862


Munising Falls Visitor Center

Contact Us