|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Lyn Carranza, (928) 524-6228 x245
Petrified Forest National Park to Host Youth Conservation Corps Program
Petrified Forest, AZ -Petrified Forest National Park will hire up to twelve (12) youth from areas near the park in a Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) non-residential program for the summer of 2008.
YCC is a summer employment program established by the Federal government to provide an opportunity for young men and women to work, earn, and learn together in projects in public land areas of the United States of America.
The three objectives of the YCC program are:
1) Accomplish needed conservation work on public lands;
2) Provide gainful employment for young people of all social, economic, ethnic, and racial backgrounds; and
3) Develop in participating youth an understanding and appreciation of the nation’s natural environment and heritage.
Youth are provided an opportunity to increase self-esteem and learn self-discipline. They learn work ethics, relate with peers and supervisors, and build lasting cultural bridges.
To be eligible for participation in the program, a young person must:
1) be a citizen of the United States of America;
2) have attained the age of 15 by June 1, 2008, but not attained the age of 19 by August 30, 2008;
3) have a social security card upon arrival at work;
4) not have participated as a YCC enrollee within the past three years;
5) have no history of serious criminal or other anti-social behavior;
6) be able to obtain parental or legal guardian consent to enroll in the YCC program;
7) be able to provide a medical history signed by parent or legal guardian
8) be able to provide the proper work clothing (long sleeve shirts, trousers or jeans, work boots, etc.).
Handicapped youth, who with reasonable accommodation can perform the essential functions of the YCC program, are also eligible.
In a non-residential program, enrollee resides at home and commutes to work daily. Enrollees will be responsible for their own transportation to the park or to the GSA facility in Holbrook and return home each day. Petrified Forest National Park will provide transportation from the GSA yard in Holbrook to the park and return to Holbrook each work day.
Length of employment will be 8 weeks with employment beginning on June 9, 2008, and will continue through August 1, 2008.
Enrollees will be paid for 40 hours of work each week, at the minimum wage rate ($6.90 per hour). No paid leave may be granted, so if an enrollee must be absent from work for one or more days, he/she will not receive compensation for that day or days.
Enrollees will be selected from among the applicants without regard to civil service or classification laws, rules or regulations. The law requires that the YCC work group be 50% male, 50% female. If the number of either male or female applicants exceed the number of positions available for that gender in the work group (6), a random drawing in a public forum shall determine those selected for the positions. After the drawing, those selected will be contacted and given the opportunity to accept or decline the position.
Sons, daughters, or other relatives of National Park Service employees may apply for and be selected for the YCC program, provided they receive no special consideration in recruitment and selection.
To apply, call Petrified Forest National Park and request a Youth Conservation Corps Application form. Complete the application form and the Youth Conservation Corps Medical History form. Please note that both forms require both your signature and your parent or legal guardian’s signature. Forms received without both signatures may not receive consideration.
Mail completed forms to:
P.O. Box 2217
Petrified Forest, AZ 86028
Applications must be received in the Petrified Forest National Park Personnel Office by April 11, 2008.
For information call (928) 524-6228 weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time; or write to the Superintendent, Petrified Forest National Park, P.O. Box 2217, Petrified Forest, AZ 86028; or e-mail the park.