|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Lyn Carranza, 928-524-6228 x245
Petrified Forest, AZ―America’s Best Idea―the national parks―gets even better this summer…it’s free! Visit your national parks during three fee-free weekends* at 147 national parks that usually charge entrance fees—including Petrified Forest National Park!
“During these tough economic times, our national parks provide opportunities for affordable vacations for families,” Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar said at a press conference at Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio. “I encourage everyone to visit one of our nation’s crown jewels this summer and especially to take advantage of the three free-admission weekends.”
Mark your calendars for fee-free weekends at the national parks this summer:
- June 20-21, 2009 (Father’s Day weekend)
- July 18-19, 2009
- August 15-16, 2009
There are daily ranger-guided programs to enhance your visit as well as Cultural Demonstrators on June 20, July 18, and August 15 at the Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark including a Hopi carver, Zuni fetish maker, and Zuni beadwork artist.
- 9:30 am—6:00 pm Painted Desert Impromptu—Ranger will be between Tawa Point and Kachina Point, along the Rim Trail or inside Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark. Explore this intriguing National Historic Landmark with a ranger and discover its fascinating past. Meet the ranger at the Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark; ask for a program!
- 10:00 am—4:30 pm Crystal Forest Impromptu—Ranger will be along the Crystal Forest Trail. Where are the crystals of Crystal Forest? Learn about the geologic stories of this ever-changing Triassic landscape; ask for a program!
- 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 3:00 pm
Puerco Pueblo Discovery Walk
Who built this ancient village and left the evocative messages on stone? Discover Puerco Pueblo! Meet the ranger at the Puerco Pueblo trailhead.
- 11:00 am, 1:30 pm, 4:00 pm, and 5:30 pm
Triassic Park Program
Giant reptiles? Trees along an ancient river system? Discover the Triassic! Meet the ranger in the Rainbow Forest Museum.
Special programs on the fee-free weekends include
- Daily 8:30-9:30 am Ranger at Puerco Pueblo for Summer Solstice Program
- Saturday June 20th 1:00 pm Ranger Orienteering Program—Please make reservations at 928-524-6228 x224
- Saturday June 20th 1:00 pm Ranger Summer Solstice Program at the Holbrook Public Library
*The fee waiver includes: entrance fees, commercial tour fees, and transportation entrance fees. Other fees such as reservation, camping, tours, concession and fees collected by third parties are not included unless stated otherwise.
For more information call (928) 524-6228 weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. MST; or write to the Superintendent, Petrified Forest National Park, P.O. Box 2217, Petrified Forest, AZ 86028; or e-mail the park Superintendent. Our website has more news and press releases: www.nps.gov/pefo/parknews/newsreleases.htm.