|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Hallie Larsen, 928-524-6228 x274
Contact: Rita Garcia, 928-524-6228 x273
Celebrate Arizona Archeology and Heritage Awareness Month at Petrified Forest National Park—March 2009
Petrified Forest—Arizona Archeology and Heritage Awareness Month celebrates the state’s rich history, but also reminds us of the fragile nature of archeological clues. Learn about Arizona’s amazing past and discover your part in protecting Arizona’s, and the nation’s, irreplaceable heritage.
During Arizona Archaeology and Heritage Awareness Month, March 2009, activities at the park will include:
- Every Saturday between 9 am and 12 pm, join park archeologist Jay Theuer for Flint Knapping/Stone Tool Manufacturing at the Painted Desert Visitor Center.
- Every Saturday, join park archeologist Jay Theuer for petroglyph walks Petroglyph walks will begin at 1:30 pm every Saturday. Locations will vary depending on weather and size of group and will be announced at 12:45 pm on the day of the program at the Painted Desert Visitor Center, Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark, and Rainbow Forest Museum. Reservations will be accepted.
- Every Saturday 10 am to 4 pm, Cultural Demonstrators will be showing their skills and wares at the Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark
- The Winslow Harvey Girls will be at the Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark to share Fred Harvey and Harvey Girl History.
- Special walks and talks will be giving throughout the park, including
-Puerco Pueblo walks every day at 10 am and 3 pm
-Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark tours everyday at 1 pm
- Exhibits on the archeology of Petrified Forest at Painted Desert Visitor Center and the Painted Desert Inn National Historic Landmark
- Self-guided activities with handouts
Check at the information desks for other activities and schedules! Weather permitting for certain activities
For more information call (928) 524-6228 weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time; or write to the Superintendent, Petrified Forest National Park, P.O. Box 2217, Petrified Forest, AZ 86028; or e-mail the park Superintendent at e-mail us. Our website has more news and press releases: www.nps.gov/pefo/parknews/newsreleases.htm.