Fees and Passes

Entrance plaza at Muir Woods National Monument
Entrance plaza at Muir Woods National Monument

Entrance Fees

$15.00-Adult (16 years of age and older)

Free-Children (15 years of age and under)

Fourth Graders and Veterans and Gold Star Families can visit for free! Follow the instructions in the link before you arrive at Muir Woods.

We accept payment by cash and credit card

Entrance fees may be purchased in advance with your parking reservation or upon arrival to the park. Parking Reservations are required for all vehicles and shuttle riders visiting Muir Woods National Monument. Please visit gomuirwoods.com for parking reservations.


The following park passes (sold at the Muir Woods Visitor Center!) allow pass holders and up to three other adults to enter Muir Woods free of charge:

Muir Woods Annual Pass $45.00 This pass is good for 12 months. It admits the pass holder and three persons (16 and older) to Muir Woods National Monument in Mill Valley.

America the Beautiful - The National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass admits pass holders and up to three other adults to Muir Woods and all National Parks/Federal Recreation Lands that charge an entrance fee. There are several different versions of this pass:

America's Best Idea—the national parks—is even better when it's free!

All national parks will waive the entrance fee on the following dates in 2022. Please note the parking reservation or shuttle reservation fee is still required on these dates.

The five entrance fee-free days for 2022 will be:


Muir Woods National Monument Fee Increase Effective January 1

In April 2018, the National Park Service (NPS) announced that Muir Woods National Monument would be one of the 115 fee-charging national parks to modestly increase entrance fees. Effective January 1, 2019, the entrance fees to the park will be $15 per person (an increase from $10) and an annual park pass will cost $45. These changes come in response to public comments on a fee proposal released in October 2017.

Superintendent Laura E. Joss stated “In recent years the National Park Service has seen an impressive jump in visitation. The additional funds from entrance fees will provide much needed upgrades to Muir Woods and other parks across the country, as we welcome visitors from around the world and from our local communities.”

National parks have experienced record breaking visitation, with more than 1.5 billion visitors in the last five years. Throughout the country, the combination of an aging infrastructure and increased visitation have put a strain on park roads, bridges, campgrounds, waterlines, bathrooms, and other visitor services. The increased entrance fees will raise additional revenue to address the $11.6 billion in maintenance backlog across the system of 418 parks, historic and cultural sites, and monuments.

All of the entrance fees collected will remain with the NPS. At least 80 percent of the revenue is designated for Muir Woods and the remaining 20 percent will be returned to a national fee revenue sharing program for use by parks that do not collect entrance fees.

Entrance fee funds will be utilized to update park water treatment systems, rehabilitate the visitor center, and upgrade trails and bridges through the iconic old growth redwood grove. The revenue from entrance fees will remain within the NPS and helps ensure a quality experience for all visitors. The NPS estimates that once fully implemented, the new fee structure will increase annual entrance fee revenue by about $60 million.

The price of the annual America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Annual Pass and LIfetime Senior Pass will remain $80. Entrance fees are not charged to visitors under 16 years of age or holders of Senior, Military, Access, Volunteer, or Every Kid in a Park passes.

Last updated: January 31, 2022

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

Muir Woods National Monument
1 Muir Woods Rd

Mill Valley , CA 94941


415 561-2850

Contact Us


Stay Connected