A Selected Timeline of the Monocacy Area

pre- 1715

Native Peoples


Arrival of European Explorers and Traders

1729 Wett Work tract patented by John Abbington
1730 Urbana and the surrounding area settled
1740 Locust Level tract patented by Daniel Dulaney
1745 Town of Frederick established
ca. 1748 Middle Ford Ferry crossing established over the Monocacy River
ca. 1780 James Marshall builds the main house on Wett Work (today's Thomas Farm)


The Post-Revolutionary War Era

ca. 1794 Earliest portion of main house on L'Hermitage (today's Best Farm) constructed
1805 Georgetown Pike chartered by state of Maryland
1827 John Brien purchased L'Hermitage from the Vincendières
1831 Baltimore & Ohio Railroad completed to Monocacy Junction.
1848 The Georgetown Pike was macadamized.
ca. 1852 Griffin Taylor builds the brick farmhouse on Clifton (today's Worthington Farm)


Civil War and Reconstruction

1860 John T. Worthington purchases Clifton farm
1862-1863 Two blockhouses built by the Union Army to guard the railroad and the turnpike bridge over the Monocacy River
1864 July 9, the Battle of Monocacy is fought
ca. 1872 The Gambrills build the Edgewood mansion


Commemoration and Memorialization

1907 New Jersey Monument dedicated
1908 Pennsylvania Monument dedicated
1914 UDC Monument dedicated; the Geisbert family purchases the Baker Farm
1915 Vermont Monument dedicated


Establishment and Development of the National Battlefield

1934 Monocacy National Military Park authorized by an act of Congress, but no funds are appropriated for land purchase
1950-1952 U.S. 240 (today's Interstate 270) constructed
1964 Maryland Monument constructed; centennial of battle commemorated.
1973 Battlefield designated as a National Historic Landmark
1975 Battlefield placed on the National Register of Historic Places
1976 Name changed to Monocacy National Battlefield; funds are appropriated for land acquisition
1991 Visitor center established at Gambrill Mill as park opens to the public on July 13
1981-2001 National Park Service purchases six component properties that comprise the park
2001-2010 Archeological and historic research projects are conducted to investigate park resources
2006 Ground is broken for a new visitor center.

The new Monocacy National Battlefield Visitor Center opens on June 27, 2007.

2010 Slave Village Discovered at Best Farm

Last updated: April 10, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

4632 Araby Church Road
Frederick, MD 21704


(301) 662-3515
Visitor Center Phone Number

Contact Us