This monument was dedicated by the State of New Jersey to commemorate the heroic services of the 14th New Jersey Regiment. Nicknamed the "Monocacy Regiment," the 14th New Jersey was assigned to guard Monocacy Junction for nine months during the winter of 1862 and 1863. They established a winter encampment known as Camp Hooker for that purpose.
The regiment returned in 1864 and was instrumental in delaying the Confederate advance during the Battle of Monocacy, incurring losses of two-thirds of its men - more than any other Union regiment engaged during the battle.
The 14th New Jersey Monument was the first of five monuments to be erected on the battlefield. The dedication ceremony, held on July 11, 1907, was attended by 180 survivors of the regiment.
The monument is constructed of granite and measures about 24 feet high, topped by a sculpture of an infantry soldier. The front of the monument features a Greek cross along with two bronze tablets.
The first bronze plaque reads:
The second plaque reads:
A third plaque, placed on the 100th anniversary of the battle reads:
A plaque placed for the 100th anniversary of the monument's dedication reads:
This final plaque was unveiled at a rededication ceremony held on July 7, 2007, coinciding with the monument's 100th anniversary. In advance of the ceremony, the monument was cleaned and restored by monument conservators from the National Park Service. more...
Last updated: June 12, 2020