Dedicated in 1915 by the State of Vermont to honor the 10th Vermont Infantry Regiment, this monument was the third erected at Monocacy.
The 10th Vermont took part in two locations at the Battle of Monocacy. The first was at Monocacy Junction, where a small detail of 75 men was tasked with aiding in the defense of the two bridges crossing the Monocacy River. Most of the regiment took up position along the left flank of the Union line at the Thomas Farm, where it participated in some of the heaviest fighting.
The monument is a granite monolith approximately eight feet in height, and bears a bronze tablet in the shape of a Greek Cross upon which is inscribed:
Two members of Company D, 10th Vermont Infantry - First Lieutenant George E. Davis and Corporal Alexander Scott - were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions at the Battle of Monocacy. Private George M. Douse, of Company A, was among those of the 10th who were wounded during the battle. His story and correspondence with a comrade provide an interesting first-person account of some of the battle.
Last updated: April 10, 2015