Planning a Summertime Visit?
Please be aware of the following:
- Road clearing operations began April 4, 2017. Sections of the park highway will open when it is safe and there is sufficient parking for vehicle traffic. The road is expected to open to vehicle traffic July 27th.
- Roads to Butte Lake, Juniper Lake, and Warner Valley are open to access trails in those areas.
- Many park trails at high elevations like Kings Creek Falls and Lassen Peak will be covered in snow through late July.
- The Bumpass Hell Trail is closed to hikers due to snow. It will open when the snow melts out of the area. Devils Kitchen (4 miles round trip) in the Warner Valley is a good alternative hike to Bumpass Hell. Sulphur Works hydrothermal area along the main park highway is also accessible by vehicle.
- Hiking can necessitate the use of sturdy footwear, trekking poles or more advanced winter equipment such as crampons or ice axes if you wish to ascend peaks.