Plan a Winter Visit
The 2018/2019 Winter Newspaper is an indispensable resource for planning a winter time visit.
- Snow: The first winter snowstorm in the park began on November 21. Check below for current snow depths.
- Roads: The park highway is closed due to a series of snowstorms. The highway will remain closed for the snow season, typically November through April. Access to the park will remain open one mile from the Northwest and Southwest Entrances to the Loomis Plaza and Kohm Yah-mah-nee Visitor Center, respectively.
- Trails: Some trails are inaccessible due to road closures. Regardless, trails will have varying amounts of snow accumulation.
- Be Prepared: Be aware of and prepared for changing weather conditions and plan accordingly. A snowstorm can close access to the park's entrances.
- Visitor Centers: The Kohm Yah-mah-nee Visitor Center (at the southwest entrance of the park) is open Wednesday through Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Loomis Museum is closed for the winter. See all operating hours and seasons.
- Food: Food service is limited between November and May. Lassen Cafe and Gift is open 11 am to 2 pm weekends only. Visitors are welcome to enjoy their own meals in the dining area.
- Gift Shops: The Lassen Association bookstore in the Kohm Yah-mah-nee Visitor is open during visitor center hours. See above for Gift Shop hours.
- Camping: The Southwest Walk-in Campground is open year-round and in winter is snow-covered. View more about park campgrounds.
- Backpacking: Wilderness camping requires a wilderness permit. Read more about wilderness camping in the park.