What is a CUA?A Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) is a business permit with the National Park Service that authorizes an individual, group, company, or entity to conduct commercial activities and provide specific visitor services within a national park area. The National Park Service will only issue CUAs for commercial activities and visitor services that:
- are determined to be an appropriate use of Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park;
- will have minimal impact on Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park’s resources and values; and
- are consistent with Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park’s purpose, management plans, policies, and regulations.
- take place at least in part in Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park,
- use park resources, and result in compensation, monetary gain, benefit, or profit.
How do I apply for a CUA?With the exception of Denali, CUA applications in the Alaska Region are centrally managed. With one form, applicants may apply for all park units in the Region (except Denali). Application materials and additional information are available on the NPS Alaska Region website.
Applications are accepted annually between November 1st and April 30th. A fully completed application package including insurance, fee payment, and other required documentation must be received or postmarked by the April 30th deadline.
Completed application packages should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park only accepts CUA applications for the commercial activities listed below. Please note that some activities have additional requirements in addition to the National, Regional and Park-Specific Stipulations that apply to all activities within a park unit. Stipulations and conditions may be updated annually. Copies are available on the Region’s website.
- Boating Trips
- Commercial Vehicle Tours (including but not limited to buses, vans, and motorized bicycles)
- Guided Backpacking (US side only)
- Guided Bicycling
- Guided Hiking
- Guided Horse Rides
- Shuttle Service
How much does a CUA cost?In addition to the application fee outlined in the Application Instructions on the Regional
website, Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park charges a monitoring fee. The fee is due November 15th of each year along with Activity Report & Annual Report Form 10-660. Fees are:
- Horse Tours: $3.00 per person, per day (excludes guides)*
- All Other Activities: $2.00 per person, per day (excludes guides)*
- There is no fee for Shuttle Services
What are the reporting requirements?CUA holders must submit an Annual Report and Activity Reports each year by
November 15 th. Current reporting forms and reporting addresses are available on the