|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Amber Kraft
King Salmon, AK – Fat Bear Week 2021 is nearly upon us, and we need your help to crown the fattest bear of Brooks River! This annual competition, starting September 29, celebrates the big bruins of Katmai National Park and Preserve as they fatten up ahead of winter.
A late salmon run hasn’t deterred these hefty competitors who have come out in record numbers to Brooks River seeking the salmon that help them pack on the pounds. Can 747, last year’s champion, stay atop the hierarchy of rotund royalty? Will 435 “Holly” or 480 “Otis” reclaim the championship? Is this the year 32 “Chunk,” 151 “Walker” or 128 “Grazer” can claim a maiden victory? Could some other blubbery bear grab the attention with their weight and steal the votes from past favorites?
While Katmai National Park’s bears of Brooks River continue their healthy pre-winter ritual of hyperphagia-induced gorging, it will be up to you to cast your votes. Stout sows and bulky boars will compete in head-to-head matchups as they have in years past, with the addition of two days for chunky cubbies to compete for a spot in the Fat Bear Week (FBW) bracket. All of this will take place on explore.org’s Fat Bear Week website where you can:
- Browse previous winners in the Hall of Fame, learn all about Fat Bear Week and follow fat bears in the news.
- 9/23-9/24: Cast your votes for Fat Bear Jr.!
- 9/27: See the official FBW Bracket revealed!
- 9/29: Start casting your votes in the bear-vs-bear matchups for FBW.
- 9/30-10/5: Keep coming back daily to cast your votes in every matchup and cheer the competitors on.
- 10/5: Congratulate the FBW Champion on Fat Bear Tuesday! Revel in the glory with the new champion and celebrate the healthy ecosystem at Katmai National Park that makes this event possible.
Last updated: September 21, 2021