Joshua Tree National Park will once again close some camping facilities for the 2010 summer season. Summer is the slow season at Joshua Tree, and there is a reduced need for overnight camping during the hot summer months. Seasonal campground closures allow impacted areas to recover and also helps reduce the cost of maintaining these facilities.
The following closures will take place on Tuesday, June 15:
- Belle Campground: closed entirely at the access road.
- Black Rock Campground: east side closed; west side remains open.
- Cottonwood Campground: B-loop closed; A-loop remains open.
- Indian Cove Campground: west side closed; the east side, group campsites, and picnic area remain open.
- Ryan Campground: closed entirely at the access road.
- White Tank Campground: closed at the access road. The campground restroom and Arch Rock Nature Trail remain open for hikers.
These facilities will reopen in October for Columbus Day weekend, or earlier if park visitation warrants. All other park facilities including visitor centers, picnic areas, and other campgrounds remain open for normal visitor use.