As in past years, Joshua Tree National Park will close some campgrounds for the 2009 summer season. Visitation decreases during the hot summer months so there is a reduced need for camping sites. Seasonal campground closures allow impacted areas to recover and also helps to reduce the cost of maintaining these facilities.
The following closures will take place on Monday, June 1:
- Belle Campground—closed at the access road.
- Black Rock Campground—east side closed; west side remains open.
- Cottonwood Campground—B loop will close; A loop will remain open.
- Indian Cove Campground—west side closed. The east side of the campground and the group campsites will remain open. The picnic area and nature trail will also remain open.
- Ryan Campground—closed at the access road.
- White Tank Campground—closed at the access road. The campground restroom and the Arch Rock Nature Trail will remain open for hikers.
Hidden Valley and Jumbo Rocks campgrounds will remain fully open, along with park visitor centers and picnic areas.
Regularly scheduled tours of the Keys Ranch historic site will be suspended for the summer, but a limited number of tours for groups of ten or more may be arranged by calling 760-367-5555.
These facilities will reopen for the October, 2009 Columbus Day weekend, or earlier based on park visitation.