|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Mike Ward, 314-655-1611
“We think everyone will notice this major improvement to lighting the monument,” said Mike
Ward, superintendent of Gateway Arch National Park.The nearly $1.2 million-project, funded
by the Gateway Foundation, of St. Louis, is the first major upgrade to the original exterior lighting
system, which was installed in 2001 and also was funded by the Gateway Foundation, at a cost of
$2.4 million. The original xenon lighting system, designed by Randy Burkett Lighting Design, Inc.,
of Webster Groves, Mo., had been in place nearly 17 years. Advancements in lighting technologies
and the significant degradation of the effectiveness and efficiency of the old lighting system necessitated
the updated and replacement of the original lighting fixtures.
Once again, Randy Burkett Lighting Design led the relighting project, which began in July 2018.
Forty-four outdated fixtures were replaced by 26 static xenon sky lights with new custom lenses.
Although the number of fixtures has been reduced, due to advances in technology, the current
fixtures provide greater light coverage of the Arch legs and increased energy efficiency. The
Gateway Foundation will continue to pay for the costs of insurance, equipment and electricity
associated with the updated Arch lighting system as they have since 2001.
“Throughout the relighting project, the Gateway Foundation has been grateful for the support of
the National Park Service and for the role it has played in the public-private partnership that
designed, installed, and will maintain this award-wining lighting display,” said Paul Wagman, a
spokesman for the Gateway Foundation.
ABOUT GATEWAY ARCH NATIONAL PARK: The Gateway Arch and the Old Courthouse are part of
Gateway Arch National Park, located on the riverfront in downtown St. Louis. The Gateway Arch, which
features the Tram Ride to the Top, the Museum at the Gateway Arch, the documentary film Monument to the
Dream, The Arch Store and The Arch Café, is open daily during the winter from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and from 8
a.m. to 10 p.m. Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. The Old Courthouse is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30
p.m. daily. The park is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. The Old Courthouse is
located at 11 North Fourth Street, St. Louis, MO 63102. Most programs are FREE of charge and open to the
public. Programs and events at the park are made possible by the generous support from our cooperating
association, Jefferson National Parks Association, and Bi-State Development. To purchase Arch tickets, go
online to www.gatewayarch.com, call 877-982-1410, or visit the Arch Ticketing & Visitor Center at the Old
ABOUT THE GATEWAY FOUNDATION: Founded in 1986, the Gateway Foundation seeks to enrich life and
culture in the St. Louis area by supporting efforts to acquire, create, or improve tangible and durable art and urban
design. In 2009, the Foundation’s largest project, a two-block sculpture park called Citygarden, opened in
downtown St. Louis in the Gateway Mall. From prominent public sites downtown to community college campuses
in St. Louis County, the Foundation also has purchased and installed more than 30 sculptures in the area.
Additionally, the Foundation has arranged for and funded the lighting of the Gateway Arch, the Old Courthouse, the
Civil Courts Building, the City’s three landmark Water Towers, and other prominent structures, and has funded the
building of several city playgrounds and parks. More information is available at gateway-foundation.org and
Last updated: July 18, 2019